Baby - Jay Halstead

Working together and being together can some times be very difficult. You and your long time boyfriend, Jay Halstead, are working together in the Intelligence unit. Right now you got a call about a shooting. Turns out, that shooting happened in Jay's CI appartement.

Walking up to the apartment of Jay his CI, you could already hear a baby crying. The both of you share look before pulling out your guns and making your way to the apartment. You slowly walk forward as Jay checks the room on the left of you.

"Clear," he says and you both walk forward. There is blood all over the walls. The floor is covered in it as well. Walking into the living room, you see two bodies lying on the ground, both covered in blood. The baby is in a crib watching how the two people are dead. You quickly put your gun back in your holster before you reach for the baby and pick it up.

"Ssshh, you're okay," you say with a quiet voice as you bounce the baby up and down.

"It's they daughter..." Jay says. He checks for a pulse on the victims, but they are both gone.

You pull the baby closer to you, trying to calm her down. Jay in the meantime makes a call to the rest of the team.

"How could this have happened? Why kill the parens and leave the baby alive?"

Jay shrugs his shoulders. "She does have some blood on her arm." Jay steps closer to you and the baby and looks at her arm. "There is no cut or anything. Let DCFS know that they should go to med, just to be sure."

You nodded, leaving your partner at the scene while you go give the baby to DCFS. They just arrive as you walk out of the apartment building. The baby has finally stopped crying and has even put her head against your neck.

"DCFS?" you double check.

"Yeah. Is she okay?"

"She looks okay, but let med check her out just to be sure."

The DCFS lady reaches out for the baby, but as soon as she puts hands on her, the baby starts to cry again.

"It's okay, you're okay," you say as you start bouncing her again.

"Can you tell me what happened?" The lady asks.

"Parents were murdered. Baby probably saw the whole thing. She was crying when we arrived."

"And she stopped after you picked her up?"

You nodded. "It took a few minutes, but then she calmed down."

The DCFS lady nodded. "Let's try again. Even is she is crying, just give her to me, and walk away. We'll go from there."

"Okay." You hand the lady the baby, and it Starts crying and screaming. You take a few steps back, but the baby isn't calming down. It's turning around and reaching towards you.

The DCFS lady walks back to you and hands you the baby back. "It's a response. Older children have it as well. After a traumatic fact, the person that finds them, is the person they connect with. It's probably the same with this baby. Look, I have a lot more to do today and a crying baby is the last thing I want. Can you take care of her for now? It's in the best interest for the baby."

Shocked you look at the lady. How can she say this? "Let me check it with my sergeant."

You grab your radio. "Sarge. DCFS is here about the baby. They tried to take the baby and it started throwing a fit. Something about the trauma. Short story, can I take care of her today? DCFS said it was okay."

"Get her checked out at Med, then meet us back in the district. We'll go from there."

"Copy you."

The DCFS lady hands you a car seat and her card and then she is off.

You look at the baby. "Let's go to Med then." You walk towards your car and put he car seat in. Right as you shut the door, Jay comes rushing towards you.

"Voight told me to come with you."

"Awh, I thought I could finally drive," you pout. "I'll get in the back seat with the baby. Do you know her name?"

"I have no idea."

Both of you get in the car and Jay drives to Med.

After getting the baby checked out at Med and you got some supplies from the hospital, you went back to the distract. The baby is sound asleep now.

"You're so good with kids," Jay whispers as you get the baby out of the car.

"It makes you think, huh?" You ask as you wiggle your eyebrows.

"We never had that conversation... you want kids?"

"I think so. You?"

"Me too. It would be fun to have a little you running around?"

"Or a mini you," you smile at Jay. Both of you make it upstairs. You put the baby down in the kitchen, before you go meet Voight in his office.

"How is the baby doing?"

"She is sleeping right now, but as DCFS said, she has a trauma response, probably. It's hard to tell with a baby. They checked her out at Med and she is okay. We don't know her name, but she is asleep now. I also got some emergency stuff from the hospital. Look sarge-." You got cut off by the door flying open.

Jay walks in with the crying baby. "She just woke up. I tried to stop her from crying, but it's not working."

"I got her," you say as you reach out your hands. You grab the baby and immediately she calms down.

"I see what you were trying to say," Voight says.

"Doctor Charles said that it has something to do with smell. The baby recognizes Y/N's smell and she knows that she is safe," Jay says.

"DCFS said it was okay for you to take care of this baby?"

You nod. "Even the hospital singed a form, so right now I'm her guardian."

Voight looks at Jay. "What about you?"

"Oh, I'm fine with this. It's the best for the baby."

"Okay good. You two can go, figure out whatever it is that you need to, like baby stuff and all that. Keep your phones on in case we need you."

After a shopping trip at Target, you found everything that you needed. You are wearing the baby in a baby carrier, while Jay is putting the crib together.

"I did think this would happen in another order," Jay says.

"Me too, but I'm not too mad about it." You look at the sleeping baby and can't help but smile.

"We need to think of a name, though. We can't keep calling her baby." Jay stands up from the ground and looks at the crib with a proud smile.

"I love it. But how do you name a kid? Like just pick a random name that we like?"

"Yeah. Her mom was called Anya and her dad Michael, maybe that helps."

"I always loved to name Mia, it could stand for both her parents name."

"I like it." Jay walks over to you and peaks at the sleeping baby. "Too late to have the baby conversation now," he says with a slight smile.

"Yeah, pretty much." You both laugh, but quickly stop as you hear the baby, Mia, making a noice.

"She's lucky that you found her," Jay says and kisses the side of your head.

"She very lucky to have you too."