Sleep - Jay Halstead

To say you were exhausted was an understatement. In the last few days, you barely got any sleep. You had just wrapped up a case where you worked late nights and early mornings. Last night you worked overtime, and just as you were going to bed, another case came in. You had to return to the district, even though your bed was screaming your name. Luckily you rode with your boyfriend Jay so that you could close your eyes for a few minutes.

The first half of the night went pretty well. You were busy working on the case, so you had no time to think about how tired you were. But slowly, the letters on the computer started to dance in front of your eyes. You rubbed your eyes, but it had no use. Your blurry vision only got worse. You laid your head down on your arms on your desk. Closing your eyes for a few minutes wouldn't hurt. You looked at Jay, who was busy typing something on the computer. Within minutes, you were deep asleep.

Slight snoring made Jay look over to you. Your face was facing him. Your eyes were closed, and the snoring came from you.

"Did she just...?" Adam asked as he walked over to you.

"She fell asleep," Jay said with a grin. "But let her, even if it's for an hour. She worked overtime last night, and before that, we worked on a case pretty much 24/7. She's exhausted."

"Look at pretty boy vowing for his girl," Kevin smiled.

"Yes. We all have our days sometimes. I know when I found you lying on the bench in the locker room. You were passed out."

"It's a good thing Voight isn't here," Erin mumbled.

Jay looked at you. You looked so peaceful when you were asleep. He could look at you for hours and never get bored.

"Pretty boy is so in love," Kevin chuckled.

"Oh, let him be, Kev," Erin said and threw a wad of paper in his direction. Kevin caught it and threw it right back at Erin.

"Let's work the case; otherwise, we could just go home, and all get some sleep," Adam said. Everyone agreed.

For three hours, they worked hard on the case. When you woke up, Jay was looking at you.

"Morning," he smiled.

Kevin also noticed you were awake. "Sleeping beauty is awake!"

You rubbed your eyes. "Did I really fall asleep?"

"For three hours. For three hours, we had to hear how you were cutting down a forest," Adam said.

"Guys, you should've woken me up! We're not here to sleep," you said.

"Pretty boy over there wouldn't let us. He felt sorry for you after you barely got any sleep in the last few days," Kevin said.

You looked at Jay. "It's sweet. But we're still here to work a case."

"I know. But you needed your sleep."

You grabbed your empty cup from your desk and walked over to the break room to fill it.

Jay followed you. He closed the door behind him. "Are you mad at me?"

You turned around. "What? No. Not in the slightest. I just wished you woke me up. But that nap did me good, I have to admit that."

Jay put his cup next to yours. You filled that as well. "Thank you," you said and gave him a quick kiss.

"Don't start making kids in there!" Kevin yelled.

Just to piss him off, Jay pulled you closer and kissed you longer.

"I thought we had to work on the case!" Erin yelled.

You smiled against Jay's lips. "She is right," you mumbled. You pulled back, grabbed your coffee and went back to work.