Heat wave - Jay Halstead

The city of Chicago was currently in the middle of a heat wave, and the AC in your apartment broke last night. You barely got any sleep, and now you were working a case.

"Why can't these bastards just hold off for a few days? These aren't circumstances to commit a felony," you said while looking at the crime scene.

"I wish it was that way," Kevin mumbled.

"What have we got?" Voight asked.

"White male around 40s. Three gunshots to the stomach, one in the head," you said.

"Time of death?"

"Around 3 am last night. Someone from the neighbourhood heard gunshots, called it in, but didn't see anything," you informed Voight.

"Alright. Let's head back to the district and see what we can find."

You hopped in the car with Jay. The AC was fully on and cooling the vehicle. "I am going to sleep in here tonight," you said as Jay drove away.

"Long night?"

"A hot night. The AC in my apartment broke. This is the coolest I have been ever since last night."

"You should've come over." Jay hands you a bottle of water, which you happily take a few sips off.

"Yeah, I should have. But I didn't have any energy to get out of bed."

Jay chuckled.

Once you returned to the district, it was just as hot inside as it was outside. "Sorry, guys. All of the ACS broke last night during a power outage. Nothing is useful," Trudy said as you walked in.

"That's just great," you mumbled.

Jay opened the gate, and you followed him upstairs.

"I don't get how people in Africa do this. I'm not made for this weather."

"You say the same in the winter," Jay laughed.

"Yes, because that's too cold. I'm a spring kind of gal, or maybe the beginning of fall. I just want sun, not warm weather. No rain and no snow. That too much to ask?"

"Yes. Way too much."

You walked to the coffee room, where you grabbed a cold water bottle from the fridge and held it against your skin. You just hoped it would be easy today.

It was not an easy day. It felt like it was getting hotter by the minute, and the suspect even had you chasing him down. You got him, but man, it felt like you were going to pass out any minute. You were standing in an alley in the shade, trying to collect yourself before walking back out.

"Hey, you okay? I saw you coming down here," Jay said.

You looked at your boyfriend. "I was just in need of some shade. That fucker had me chase him in this heat," you panted. You were still out of breath, which wasn't normal for you.

Jay handed you a bottle of water, but you waved it away.

"I'm going to throw up if I drink anything."

Jay looked at you with concern. "You sure you're okay?"

"No," you mumbled. Your ears started buzzing, and you knew what was coming next. You tried to reach out to Jay before you fell to the ground.

"Heat exhaustion," Jay said to you. "You passed out due to heat exhaustion."

Doctor Natalie Manning was also standing in the room. "We want to keep you here for a few hours until your stats go back up. Jay can stay. Just take it easy, and make sure that bottle of water is empty before we release you," Natalie said.

You smiled at her as a thanks before she walked out.

Jay sat down next to the bed.

"I told you I wasn't made for this weather."

Jay rolled his eyes. "It's not funny. You almost gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry I scared you."

"I'm just glad it's nothing more serious."

"You and me both."