Posion - Jay Halstead x One Chicago

Reuqested by: frostqueen_dhriya

triggers: mention of seizure, posion

It was one of the largest events for you in the summer. With all of your friends from Med, the fire station and PD, you held your annual barbecue. It was an afternoon filled with food, games and a lot of fun. Kelley Severide, Matt Casey and your boyfriend Jay Halstead were currently manning the grill. Everything was cooked with so much love. They laughed while drinking beer and giving out food.

"How has it been going between you and Jay?" Sylvie asked.

"Good. Everything has been smooth sailing so far."

"She is still in the over the moon fase," Stella laughs.

"Do you ever get out of that?" You took another bite of your salad.

"Eventually. It took a while with me and Kelly."

You looked over at Jay. It was as if he knew you were watching when he turned around. He smiled at you and holding up his beer.

"I'm going over," you said as you placed your salad down, before walking over to Jay. You wrapped your arms around him from behind.

"I was wondering when you were coming over." He turned around to quickly kiss you before turning his attention back to the food.

"How has the salad been?" Matt asked.

"Good. Sylvie said you made it!"

"Well, I actually got it from the store and just put some extra things in it," he admitted.

You laughed. How typical of a guy to do.

"Are you having fun? Do you need anything?"

You tried to open your mouth to respond, but it was as if your jaw was locked.

Jay turned around when you took to long to respond. When he looked at you, he saw the fear in his eyes. "Y/N, what's going on?" This grabbed the attention of almost everyone around you. Before you knew it, the light went out in your eyes and you fell to the ground. Jay caught you in time. Just as he laid you down, you started to convulse.

"Is she epileptic?" Kelly asked.

"No. This has never happened before!" Jay said with panic.

They yelled for Sylvie of Violet. They rushed over, when someone else was calling for them as well.

"Seizure?" Sylvie asked.

"She doesn't have epilepsy," Jay said.

"There is someone else having a seizure as well," Matt said.

Everybody looked at him now.

"Okay, call for an ambulance. Something is going on here," Sylvie said. "Jay, keep supporting her head. I will be right back."

Jay did as he was told. He hated being this helpless. All he could do was keep watching how your body was shaking. Your whole body was tense. Suddenly it stops.

"Y/N, can you hear me?"

Your eyes flutter open, but it doesn't seem like you are registering what is going on.

"You're safe. Can you look at me, babe?"

Your eyes move around, but you're not looking at Jay. Just when Jay wants to let go of you, you start convulsing again.

"Jezus, what is going on?"

Ambulances took all of the seizing patients to the hospital. Voight is already waiting there with some officers to take statements.

"Halstead, what happened?" He asked as they sit down in the waiting room.

"I have no idea, Serge. One minute she is talking to me, the next she looks at me in fear before falling down and starting to seize. She has no epilepsy. She didn't drank alchohol, she drank enough water, she ate some salad. We have to figure out what's going on."

"You stay here and be with her. The team will look into what is going on, okay? Is there someone we should call?"

Jay looked around the room. All of his friends slowly started to come into the waiting room. "No, everybody is here already."

After an hour, Will came to update his brother.

"She has been seizing off and on. Medicine isn't working. Her blood has been rushed to the lab to see if there is something there. Right now she's also showing signs of hyperthermia. She is awake, but what we call it it's a postictal depression. It happens after someone had a seizure. They're conscious but they're not really registering what is going on. Someone is being with her at all times, but we have no idea what this is. It looks like some other patients are having the same symptoms. There is one fatality."

Shit. Jay lowers himself back in the chair he was sitting on.

"Look, we have her in the best hands, but it's not looking very good right now."

Jay nods. Slowly registering what his brother just said. His phones rings. It feels like everything is going in slow motion when he takes it out of his pocket and picks it up. "Halstead."

"It's Adam. How is Y/N doing?"

"Not so good. One person died."

"Shit. You said to Voight that Y/N had something to eat. What did she eat today?"

"At the barbecue she had some salad. That was about it as far as I know. But let me check with Stella" Jay looks around for Stella. He knew you were with her. He finds her on the other side of the waiting room. "Did Y/N eat anything else beside the salad?'

Stella shakes her head. "She was waiting for some burgers, but they were still being cooked."

"Thanks." Jay turns around.

"Hey, Jay. I heard that more of the victims ate the salad," Stella says, making Jay turn back around again.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I've heard some people talk about it. Matt said that people barley touched it, so for now it seems to be a select group of people."

"Thanks Stella." Jay makes his way outside. "Did you hear that, Adam?"

"Yeah, we figured out the same thing. All of the blood from the patients is being checked right now."

"Alright, keep me updated."

"Will do. Hang in there man."

Jay hangs ups the phone, before walking back inside.

After about half an hour, Will walks back into the waiting room. Jay stands up from his chair.

"She going to be okay. The meds are now working, we're cooling her down," Will starts.

"Did you know what it was?"

Will nods. "After speaking with Sergeant Voight, we think that there was strychnine poison on the salad. It caused the convulsions, locking of the jaw, the hyperthermia. We're giving her fluids, and some other medications, but the main thing is that she is going to be alright."

"What about everybody else?"

"They're going to be fine as well. We caught it just time."

"Thanks, Will." The brothers hug before Jay starts telling his friends the good news. You are going to be okay, thank god.