Broken - Jay Halstead

You had a pretty uneventful day today. It was your day off, and you had decided to hang back at the apartment and have some me-time. Unfortunately, that me-time turned into a trip to the ER. Being the klutz, you were, you had tripped over your own feet. As a result, your wrist was hurting pretty bad. Your boyfriend, Jay, wasn't home, and you didn't really want to bother him. So, you took the bus and went to the ER where your friend and doctor Connor Rhodes worked. Jay, his brother, Will, also worked there, but you prayed to god that you wouldn't run into him. He would call Jay and make a big deal out of it when it really wasn't.

"Hey Maggie, is Connor around?" you asked, walking into the ER.

"Y/N, haven't seen you in a while. Yeah, Connor is here. I'll page him for you."

"Thanks, Maggie. Please don't tell Will that I'm here."

"Sure thing, honey. You staying out of trouble?"

You smiled. "More than I used to, but I still ended up here."

"Oh no, what happened?"

Before you could answer her question, you were interrupted by someone. "Maggie, what's up?"

Your head shot up, and you saw Connor approaching the two of you.

"Y/N is here to see you," she said.

"Y/N?"

"Yeah, right here," you said.

"What are you doing here?"

"I think I broke my wrist. I don't want to call Will because he will call Jay and make a big deal out of it."

"Sure, I'll try my best." Connor looked at Maggie.

"Room 5 is clear," Maggie said. Connor nodded his head and took you to the room.

"First, how did you break your wrist? Second, how did you get here?" Connor asked as you sat down on the bed.

"I tripped over my own feet, and I took the bus."

"The bus? Are you crazy?"

"I wasn't going to call an ambulance for something that is this minor, and I definitely wasn't going to call Jay. He would freak out. Besides, he hates hospitals, so I thought I'd save him the trouble."

Connor shook his head as he took a look at your arm. "You are crazy."

"I know."

Connor softly touched your wrist, but he might as well be doing it with a needle. "Does it hurt?"

"Like hell," you mumbled, trying not to scream.

"Can you move it at all?"

You shook your head.

"Alright. A nurse will take you up for an x-ray. After that, I will come back with the results, but I'm almost sure it's broken."

You groaned in annoyance. "Only I can break my wrist by tripping over my own feet. God, I'm so stupid." You sighed.

"Y/N?" The curtain flew open, and Will looked at you, confused. "What are you doing here?"

"Just talking to Connor," you answered.

Will looked at Connor and then back at you. "Right. What happened?"

"Promise not to call Jay."

"Y/N..."

You sighed. "I tripped over my own feet. Probably broke my wrist. But don't call Jay. I'm fine."

"And you got here, how?"

"By bus," Connor smiled.

"You took the bus? Are you insane?"

You groaned in annoyance. "God, next time, I'm not even going to med. I will travel all the way through the city to go to the hospital where nobody knows me."

"The nurse will be here soon," Connor said. He patted you on the shoulder before leaving the room.

After the x-ray, you were brought back to the room, where you waited for Connor.

"Maggie, where is she? Will called me. Is she okay?"

"Oh god," you mumbled to yourself.

A moment later, the curtain flew open, and Jay looked at you, worried. "What happened?"

"Calm down, mister. I am fine. I just tripped over my own feet and probably broke my wrist."

"It's for sure you broke your wrist," Will said as he stepped into the room, followed by Connor.

You looked at him, trying to be mad as you could. "You called him? I told you not to."

"I'm sorry, but he would've killed the both of us if I didn't call him."

"Now it's just me," you mumbled.

"How did you even get here?" Jay asked as he sat down next to the bed.

"She took the bus," Will said before you could answer.

"The bus? Why didn't you call me?"

"You hate hospitals, and I didn't want to take you away from work over something this minor. I'm fine."

"Yeah, besides from a broken wrist. You should've called me."

You just rolled your eyes, not saying anything. This conversation could last forever if you continued.

"I'm going to get some things so we can get you out of here," Connor joined the conversation and left the room.

Jay grabbed your good hand. "I just wished you would've called me instead of taken the bus with a broken wrist."

"It was just something this minor. I didn't want to make a big fuss over it." You looked at Jay. It had been a while since you had seen him this worried. "What did Will say to you?"

"That you were in the ER and that I had to hurry."

"God, he is so dramatic."

Jay laughed.

"But I'm glad he called you. I wasn't looking forward to the bus ride back home."

Jay laughed even harder.

Connor came back into the room and started putting the cast on your wrist. "Glad you too can laugh again."

"Next time, you can be a little less dramatic," you said to Will.

"Copy that. Take it easy the next few days, and I'll see you in a couple of weeks to get the cast removed," Will said as Connor finished up.

"Thanks."

"You're welcome."

You and Jay left the hospital and went home.

"Do you have to go back in?" you asked as you entered the apartment.

"Yeah, in a little bit. You wanted to make sure that you don't need anything."

"No, I'm good."

"I'll have my phone on me at all times, so call me if there is anything you need."

"Will do, detective," you smiled before you kissed him.

"Alright. See you tonight." Jay kissed you again before he left the apartment.