twenty four

*talking about child abuse after the change of POV*

We start eating soon after MK sits down and the wine is finally poured into our glasses. Jarnette keeps a small conversation between her, Trent and Ashley as Lizzie, MK and I stay mostly quiet. I try to participate in their talk, but the awkwardness doesn't leave my body.

After all, they had an argument because of me and I know Lizzie's upset with her sister. I can see it on her face, she always has a small pout and her eyebrows are slightly furrowed when she's upset.

I decide to try to calm her, so I rest my hand on her thigh, giving a firm squeeze. She looks surprised at me and I offer her a goofy smile. She scrunches her nose softly at my silliness and goes back to eating, without that pout this time. I smirk proudly at my successful attempt and go back to eating myself.

"So, Perry" Jarnette says, gaining attention for everyone. "Tell us something about herself? Lizzie didn't tell us much, just that you're in music industry"

"Oh, well" I swallow the food I have in my mouth and clear my throat. "I don't really know what to say. My whole life is around music. I actually have a Bachelor in Music. I got a scholarship for my skills, so I was able to study in the US without worrying too much about the money. Around the second year I got signed by a record label and published my first album, that's it, I guess" I shrug at the end of my talk. It's my first parent talk, weird.

"You published your first album in college? That's really cool" Trent says shocked a little.

"And my second too. It was pretty hard to keeping with school and recording the songs, but also trying to have any social life. But when you do something you love it's easier to balance around it all" I tell them truthfully. College was fucking hard, but it was making my dreams come true. I'll never complain about it.

"That's very responsible and admirable" Jarnette replies and I smile softly, taking another bite. "You're from London, correct?" She asks and I shake my head, wiping my mouth with a napkin.

"I moved with my family to London when I was 16. I was born in a village, around 3 hours from London" I mumble and mentally plead for not asking more about it.

"What about your family?" Ashley asks this time and I sigh quietly.

"Mom is a teacher and my sister's still in school. She's 14"

"Oh, so you're also an older sister" Ashley adds happily and I nod. "So, you know how they can be a pain in the ass, right?" She whispers jokingly to me and I chuckle. Lizzie huffs besides me, making Jarnette and Trent giggle at Lizzie's expression. She shoots me a warning glare and I can't help, but smirk.

"Certainly I do" I decide to continue and Lizzie groans, pinching my arm annoyed. I let out a quiet shriek and rub the place she pinched. "Bloody hell" I huff at her and she pokes her tongue at me, making me roll my eyes at her and return to the food, taking a sip of the wine. A big one. I bought a good wine, don't judge me.

When my eyes look up from the plate, I can see an amused look on Jarnette's face and my cheeks get flushed at her attention.

"How about your father, Perry?" The older woman asks and I stiffen at her question.

I exhale a shaky breath and slowly look around the room, but don't make eye contact with anybody. Just look blankly at the middle of the table.

"I don't have one" I mutter out finally and return to look at my plate.

The atmosphere gets a little awkward at my response and I feel like leaving right now, knowing that they have more questions about it and I don't think I can survive it.