11

"Where the hell have you been?" It's the first thing I hear when I enter the bedroom.

Lizzie is sitting on the bed in her pajamas with messy hair, which means she just woke up. Her eyebrows are furrowed as she looks at me blankly.

If I wouldn't be so tired, I'd be more aware of her facial expressions, but it's already midnight.

"I texted you where I've been, Elizabeth" I answer her, getting a scoff in return. "Can we just go to sleep? I'm too tired to argue" I plead quietly, undressing myself.

"Wow, seriously?" She laughs sarcastically and I sigh, throwing my shirt on the chair in the corner. "Let me get this straight. You went for a run in the morning and came back at midnight, only giving me a few texts to let me know, but you want to just go to sleep?" The sarcasm spilled from her mouth, but truly I'm too tired for this.

I spent the whole day in the studio, making Family Line and other songs. I needed to be perfect, that's why it took so long.

"Yeah, that'd be nice" I mumble in response, turning to look at the older woman. Her face didn't change, you can see the anger in her eyes. "But I guess it's impossible right now, so I'm gonna sleep in the guest room" I decide tiredly, walking to the door.

"Are you fucking serious?" Lizzie whisper-yells at me as I lean against the door frame.

"Just go to sleep" I say softly, leaving the room.

I ignore the guilt I feel because of my behavior, but I need a moment. I just need a fucking moment, okay?

I fall asleep the minute my head hits the pillow.

The next morning, when I go to the bedroom, it's empty. It's not unexpected because it's already past nine in the morning. I take a quick shower and make myself presentable before I go downstairs.

"Good morning" I greet as I enter the kitchen.

"Mama!" Max exclaims as soon as he sees me.

I bend down to pick him up, resting him on my hip. I kiss his forehead and caress his head softly with a big smile.

"I missed you, my love. Were you good for mommy?" I speak as I hug him tightly.

"Yep!" He nods vigorously, making me laugh. He puts his hands on my face, pushing my cheeks together. I pucker up my lips, earning a big kiss from my boy. "Mama, no sleep?" He whispers, furrowing his eyebrows.

My heart aches a little at his innocent question. I didn't miss his bedtime for a long time. No wonder, he's confused why I wasn't with him yesterday.

"Mama was at work yesterday, but she's very sorry for missing your bedtime, rock star" I respond gently, sitting with him in the breakfast nook.

"Today?" He asks cutely and I smile widely.

"I'll read you anything you want tonight, alright?" I offer and he exclaims 'yeah' happily. "Good. I was also thinking about visiting your favorite uncle, Harry?"

"Yes!" He gasps, jumping up and down on my lap. "Mommy, uncle Harry!" He yells to Lizzie and I shift my head to look at her. For a moment, I forgot she's there.

"Oh, really?" She smiles at him, but I notice how it doesn't really reach her eyes. The worst thing, I know it's my fault. "That's great, sweetie. How about you go to draw something for him, hm?"

"Okay" Max agrees with Lizzie's idea, sliding off my lap, but she still gives me a last kiss before running off.

I take a deep breath as I prepare myself for the incoming argument.