Chapter 13

Act like nothing happened.

But I can't.

It's just not fair. My brain isn't working, but the words that Dina said, they make me drown in thin air, gasping for breath, trying to reach up to the surface. But how will I when I'm failing how to swim? How will Iwhen I can't calm my lungs down?

Why Dina?

•••

"Is she okay?" A really worried voice interrupts. "Did she-" the voice is cut off.

" no, she's fine." A voice says. I think that's dad.

I rack my brain back to where I am, and what is happening. Then I see the blinding lights. I sit up straight, and rub my forehead.

"Are you alright?" I turn towards the voice. Dad. I nod and sit up straighter, and then my eyes adjust. Mom is sitting down, with Dina, and dad is in front of me. I'm in a chair.

"Just felt a bit dizzy." I admit.

Dad makes eye contact with Dina and mom. "How long--"

"Just a few minutes. You closed your eyes and kinda blacked out." Mom says. I bite my lip and then make my way to Dina, who is not looking at me.

"You lied, right? You said you're perfectly fine." I stamp my feet, getting her attention. "You.. I can't believe it. You're.. What's wrong with her, mom? What happened?" I trail off, throwing my hands up in despair.

"She.. She's.." Dad.

"We didn't just come here for spending the summer, Jenna," mom starts off, and I sit back in the chair, rubbing my forehead. Dina hangs her head down, ashamed and depressed, and mom continues with one worried glance at Dina. "We came here to.. Take care of Dina. She's, she's in a bad health situation."

"What is the 'bad health situation'?" I ask tiredly. All three of them share a look.

"I have liver cancer." The words escape Dina's mouth before either of my parents can reply. She looks me straight in the eye; no doubt.

If my parents would've said it, it would've been more calmer for me. But despite Dina's calm tone and tear-free face, I gasp and cover my mouth, tears welling. "What.." I gasp.

"Yes." She confirms.

I gape at them, and my lower lip trembles. Then, without looking at either of them, I spin on my heel and run upstairs.

I leave the door cracked open; I couldn't care less. I sob into my pillow. This.. This can't be. Dina. Dying. Day by day.

This is why my mom sticks with her.

And that day, when i went to meet Evelyn, when I came back, she was rushing to the washroom. I bet.

And Alex is depressed because of it all.

I let him down.

I dial the number and press the phone to my ear. "Evelyn?" I sniffle.

"Jenna? What's wrong"

"Evelyn. Dina.. Has cancer."

Silence. "I- I know. And that's why my theory is correct. Alex started to smoke and club when he found out. But when you came.. He was like an angel. Happy, vibrant, smiling, jumpy, excited. But that day, when you told him off, when you called him a monster and a sleeping buddy, a friend with benefits to other girls, he broke down. His father is busy in work; his mum has cancer. Who else? It was you. The whole time."