Chapter 43

"Hello, Alex." I squeak, breathlessly, as I place a hand on his. His eyes fly up to look at me. He's much better. His black eye is returning to its natural color, and his cuts are fading away. Bruises are fading, too. Finally, on his face, I see a natural human.

"Hi." He croaks, and I nearly scream in excitement. My cocky, loveable, hilarious, sweet Alex's voice. The first word I've hear him speak in so much time. Fiona smiles at me from the doorway, and exits, leaving our privacy. I sink down on the blue plastic chair.

"I've missed you. I just want to say, that I'm really sorry for everything you've been through because of me. You nearly died. You nearly died!" I shake my head, wiping a tear that has escaped. I always end up crying when it comes to him.

He lightly smiles at me. A genuine one. His green eyes glimmer. "Shh." He coos. I nod, fighting my sobs.

"It just hurts. It hurts so much to see you going through all this pain. And I don't know if you heard me last time, but, Ben drugged me. He raped me. I-" I start to heavily cry. That night, those memories, the screams, the struggles.

Alex's face goes rigid, and hard. "I will kill Ben." He struggles to speak, but he says it. His fists clench. I wipe away my tears, and fast.

"It's okay. I'm not here to cry. I just wanted to say, that I've missed you. And I love you. You'll soon be out of here, okay? And we can move in together and..." I trail off. "Never mind. You don't have to love me back. After all you've been through, because of me, I wouldn't be surprised if you hated me by now."

He doesn't reply. I sink back into the chair, closing my eyes. I knew it would end like this. I deserve this. No guy should be waiting this long and going through hell and beyond, on the verge of death and anxiety everyday, like Alex has been through. "Shut up, Jenna."

I snap up to meet his eyes. "Why would I go through all this, if I was going to leave you in the end?" He mutters. I look into his green eyes, hopeful.

"You forgive me?" I ask, breathless.

"I think so. Just give me time, that's all I need. But Jen, we're still best friends and we always will care about each other. I never said I don't love you." He gulps. "Can you pass me the water, please?"

"Of course." I pass him the plastic cup of clear and still water, sitting on his bedside table. He silently slurps some water before passing the cup back to me as I place it down on the beside table again.

"They said they're going to let me out, in a couple of days maybe. I'll have to wear an arm cast, and I'll probably be limping have the time, but, I'll be out soon." Alex says, and for the first time, I see the real warmth in his smile and the brightness of his eyes that I've missed so much.

"I-I love you, Alex." I lean down and give him a quick peck. I need to give him time, what am I doing?! But, he doesn't push me off or pull away. His lips move in sync with mine, and he enters my mouth, with a tangle of our tongues dancing.

"Enough with the making out," Fiona remarks, coming closer to us and sitting beside me. "You too are too cute, though."

There is sadness in her eyes. After that night, her loved one died. I can't even bear to talk about it. Alex survived and her relative didn't. That's so unfair, at least to her. I wish everyone could have survived and nothing has happened. I wish that I never met Ben.