Chapter 55

I'm trapped. I can't breathe in this little space, full of computers that are fake, tables that are rigid, and the floor that is the only thing to accompany me for comfort is the dark, spinning chair as I slowly go insane.

I look down at Alex, who's sleeping, or should I say laying on the cold, hard ground uncomfortably with his eyes close? I'm going for the latter. You would, too. His eyelashes cast shadows on his cheeks, and his chest slowly falls up and down.

I don't know how many days it's been. Maybe two or three to the max, but it feels like an eternity in here. Or maybe it's only been a couple of hours and I'm exaggerating. The first couple of days, or hours, I was sobbing hysterically and screaming out for help, not only for the sake of myself, but also for the sake of my daughter. I can't believe nobody has passed by and heard my screams. But maybe that's why Ben chose this room. It looks soundproof to me, and tucked around the corner, it's hardly noticeable.

What a weird place to kidnap the mother of your daughter, and your ex best friend. But it's not like he hadn't done something like this before. Now I'm just waiting, but as the seconds tick, I find it harder to breathe and harder to keep hope.

And, not to mention, flashbacks are hitting me hard like a truck, leaving me desperate to breath, sucking the air out of my lungs. Not only are the flashbacks of Alex, but they're a mix of Liane and Alex. That's when I realize another one is about to hit me.

I close my eyes and then open them again. Alex is busy rummaging through the closet, setting his clothes in. "Alex, you're such a girl." I groan and cover the blanket with my face as the sun shines inside the hotel room once again.

    "Why would you be dating me, then?" He asks while putting the last of his clothes inside and turning towards the television, grabbing a snickers bar from the fridge and flopping onto the bed beside me.

"Uh, maybe I like girls?" I shrug and this causes Alex to choke on his snickers bar. I burst out laughing as he flails his arms over-dramatically and crawl over to him, holding my breath.

     "Okay, I'll do CPR on you." I joke and teasingly lean in, feeling his breath on mine. He chokes again, causing me to laugh and press my lips against his. Obviously I'm not doing CPR, it's not like I know how to. Especially on a lifeguard.

He stops choking after a few coughs and his lips move against mine. Then I pull myself away and laugh at him, clutching my stomach. He groans and throws the bar at me which is half eaten. I shriek and throw it back, running into the deck like a five year old.

The warm air hits me like a truck as it waves through my hair and I hold onto the metal railings, looking at the beach overhead and the whole resort, spa building, kids down below, swimming, laughing, and couples splashing and sitting, sunbathing.

I feel something hit the back of my head, and I pull away from this view as I see the gooey snickers bar on the ground. "EW, is this your spit?"

I hear his teasing laugh. "You sure like to suck things! Wonder why!" I scream and a couple of people turn to me. I quickly squat down, wincing and slapping my obviously red cheeks.

"You have a dirty mind. Anyway, that was not my spit you idiot I drained it in water to make you even more grossed out." He flops his hair out of his eyes and pulls at my hand, and I let him take me back to the room.

    I flip onto the bed but Alex pulls me up. "Swimming!" He pleads and I sigh, nodding and entering the bathroom with my clothes.

     I don't realize the tears that run down my cheeks until I feel like my cheeks are slightly damp and the flashback ends. I wipe them with the heel of my hand. I cannot think of Alex. Not possibly when my daughter has been kidnapped and I'm trapped in a soundproof room in a superstore! Just because it's soundproof doesn't mean I can't smash the chairs against the walls and doors and sob until someone hears me. But I doubt Ben would be that dumb. He put me in Walmart. There must be his gang that he persuaded to keep us in for the money. Plus, no one comes back here. They're not even allowed in this little hall. It's only me, Alex, and this room.

"Are you alright?" Alex's voice is groggy, however, he couldn't have been sleeping on the floor. It's only been a couple of hours if I think realistically. He's probably been lost in thought, and despite the fact that he left me five years ago, without any warnings and in his own selfishness, I feel guilty for leaving him to rest on the floor and taking the chair. I shove that thought back in my mind.

Does he think I should be alright when my daughter has been taken away from me and all I can do is wait to see what comes my way?

"Fine. We need a way to get out of here," I inform him, and although it's been very awkward, and we've barely talked, except him trying to comfort me as I was sobbing earlier, we still have to work together to get out of this steel like, soundproof room that portraits my nightmare.

"But how? We've tried everything." Alex's voice of coated with exhaustion and sadness, for he has the case of loss of hope.

"I know. But do you really think I would stop trying to get out and save my daughter? I wouldn't. But you wouldn't know that, now would you." I wryly mutter, my voice bitter.

He looks up at me sadly, but doesn't care to reply. I grab the chair I've been sitting on and shove it toward the door, but all it does is make a faint sound. I shove it again with all my might, all the force inside of me, but, again, it seems to make just a little thud noise. The third time when I do it, with even more force and energy, it makes a loud bang. I gasp in shock, but feel a presence behind me.

I turn to see Alex helping shove the chair against the door. I narrow my eyes at him, and we continue to work together, me shouting, him shoving the chair, and then I start to get hysterical as I realize no one is coming to help. I bang the walls with my hands, my palms stinging, my eyes welling up with tears as I collapse onto the hard, cold ground. I look up to see the heavy computer. It looks fake. But it can help. So as Alex continues shoving and slamming the chair and calling for help, I grab the wireless, prop computer they used to lure us in, and as anger flashes inside of me, I pick it up, finding it half as heavy as it seems. But, it'll do.

      It'll have to do.

I throw it on the wall, and start screaming at the top of my lungs. The room is filled with echoes of sound, bouncing off each wall. I feel like this is getting us nowhere. But I can't lose hope. And so our voices unite, the bangs continue, and even though they are soft to the outsiders, they are something. And we need something.

Just then, I hear voices. Distant voices, or footsteps. Whatever it is, it is melody and music to my ears as Alex and I stop screaming and shoving objects into the walls. It is a sign of life, one that I've been waiting for this whole time.

We must look mental, standing there with disheveled hair, bloodshot eyes, and wrinkled clothes, with no cell phone or any use of equipment on us. I am too awed and happy to move, and as the doorknob twists, and another pair of eyes finds mine as Alex stumbles back, a broken part of the chair in hand, I would've felt happy, but the person I see just makes things worse.

***

hey guys! So so so sorry for not being on wattpad for a couple of weeks now! My wifi has been down for the last couple of days, and to top it off, I'm having my end of year exams! I hope you like this chapter and I've made it up to you all. Comment down below what you thought about it :))

vote, comment, and share!

xo