Chapter 37

The image. It shows a blurry, hunched Alex. His bare back is stained with blood; not a single part of skin, just red. Gashes and cuts, his head lowered, him rocking back and forth, his knees pulled to his chest. "He's.. He's alive!" I choke, letting tears wet my cheeks.

    "Shh, shh," Ethan pats my back, as I hiccup, shaking the screen, hugging it. "Alex? Alex, babe, do you hear me?"

    Ethan shushes me, as I sob. "Can we see Kylie now?" I ask, wiping my tears. He nods, and finally, an image of a blonde girl lying on the ground pops up. I can't see her features, but she looks thin and fragile, with some curves and ripped clothes and cuts. She has her eyes open. But they don't look normal. They look..dull. Lifeless. Glassy. I almost thought she was dead until she moved her arm to hug her chest awkwardly. Then the image disappeared.

   "Oh, oh no." I said. "It's dead." Ethan growls, and I sigh.

   "Ethan, I've made a decision. I'm going to go. I'm going to leave, because we have to. I can't stand it anymore." I shake my head, as Ethan nods, looking at me.

   "But not today, okay?" I start to protest but he cuts me off. "Please. We need a plan, and it will take place tomorrow. When he's fast asleep. But today is too late. Go back to the room, I'll drop you there. Pack. Be prepared." His eyes glint.

    After that, we exit the gym very carefully and he drops me to the room, as I slip in, wincing. Thank god he's a deep sleeper, as he rolls to his side, snoring loudly like a pig's snort.

    I grab everything I can. Clothes, toiletries, some leftover food, and I grab money from Ben's suitcase and slip the rest in the wallet pocket. He brought me here, he interfered in my life. I get to take from him, too. But then I pause, digging through his suitcase. This isn't my money. He's stole, and I put it back.

   I collect the money I have in my own, which is a medium thin wad bundled up. After a sigh, I let my bag into my suitcase and sit on the carpet, legs folded.

How did this all even start?

Dina.

The summer vacation.

Memories are so vivid in my mind, grasping at my head, my heart tumbling and rolling, shattering into a million pieces. My heart aches, as I push my knees to my chest.

    I have to get to back to him. Before we both break apart. But, something stops me. He.. He watched me and Ben that night.. When Ben drugged me. But he never knew that I was drugged! All he saw was his girlfriend, the one he was going through so much pain for, was in bed with another man.

   Will he ever love me the same?

  ***

    "Well, good morning." Ben stretches, reaching over. I roll to my side, covering myself with the blanket.

  "What would you like to do today?" Ben asks, looking at me, his hair disheveled, his eyes tired but still awake.

"I..I think I'll just pass for today." He pouts, but nods, too. "My legs feel kind of sore. I'll just shower, and wind down a bit." I inform him.

   He nods, kissing me hard on the lips as I faintly reply as he heads over to the tv and turns it on, and I walk to the shower. "Hey, wait." Ben gives me a grin which I despise. It's all because of you, you bastard! Alex thinks I really slept with you on my own free choice! But I let these thoughts inside my mind.

   "C'mere." He hugs me, patting my back softly. Then he pulls away. He grabs a red velvet box; it's quite big. "I wanted to just ask you... Will you be mine forever?" And with that, he snaps open the red velvet case and places it gently into my hands.