Chapter 40

"Oh, you look gorgeous." Fiona steps back, admiring her work, aka my face. "Perfectly sexy."

"Thanks, Fiona. You seriously know how to lighten up a runaway bride's day." I roll my eyes, grabbing the broken foundation mirror from her as she laughs. I see a face, and it's not really looking like mine. Thin, bags slightly hidden, but still I have to thank Fiona for making me look slightly human.

Plump lips, nice and thick eyelashes, she did the good work. I'm also wearing a tee, a flannel tied around my waist, and ripped shorts along with sneakers. Worn out, yes, but it'll do fine. "I have to repay you for this." I shake my head, staring out the window as the station's pass by and so do the buildings. We're in Switzerland.

"No, you don't." She smiles back, but I grab some clothes and the few cosmetics we bought a couple of hours ago from the train shop. I grab a red shirt and jeans, along with some sneakers.

I make her sit down, pampering her features with the lipstick and mascara. We only had enough for that. I finger comb her hair, and she pulls mine into a bun. "We.. We don't look like we ran away." She admits, as I pack the cloth bag, swinging it on my shoulder.

"Thanks to you." I smile back, just as Ethan barges in after two rapid knocks on the private door.

"You guys look freshened up." We share a smile, turning back to Ethan. I can tell he's tense, not happy. "Anyway, hurry up. I'll help you guys out."

We grab the last things of our journey, and I fold in a brochure and shower cap we got from the train services, because it's a souvenir. I don't know why I'm so sure, but Fiona's attitude has made me believe that I will see Alex again. She squeezes my hand, and us four step off the train as soon as the doors slide open.

"Finally, some fresh air." Fiona smiles, laughing too, as everyone is still a bit tense, and she takes a step toward me, and nudges me. "Don't be so serious. We're in Switzerland. Enjoy yourself!"

She's the kind of girl to light up a room as soon as she walks in. The kind who swears and is kind of rebellious, but not too much in a bad way. She's the kind who's bold. Who doesn't give two shits about the haters, and a layer of confidence outlines her body, as she easily walks beside me as we trail behind the two men to our next platform.

"Fiona." I stop as we reach a small tuck shop and the boys get some food. "Fiona, have you ever thought of what happens to our loved ones? Your mother? You know how cruel Ben is. Don't you worry about what he can do..what he's already done?" Fiona's eyes fill with something, just for a moment, before she squares her shoulders.

"No, I'm not afraid. This Ben is totally a bastard, I've got to say, but, we'll get to them before. Okay? You just have to believe, okay? Why would he kill my mom if she's the only one he can blackmail me with?" Her words hang in the air, and the world seems to go quiet even though there is endless chatters and laughter around the inside air conditioned station.

   Josh, the blonde young man, around maybe two years older than me, turns to us with Ethan, some bags in his hand. "You might want to buy some books, magazines, even if there isn't much of a variety of them in English." 

    I'm dragged with Fiona to the big bookstore. I stand there, biting my lip. She carries some books, flipping through magazines. She comes up to me. "Live a little." She instructs, and passes me a copy of Paper Towns.

   "Have you- Have you read this?" I ask her. I'd always wanted to read this book. Magnificent. John Green.

   "No, silly," she smiles. "But we can get a copy of that, a copy of Looking For Alaska, and two magazines? It's all we can get." She informs me, her green eyes vibrant and beautiful.