Chapter 56

gape at the doorway. It's someone I'd rather die than see, but that was when I wasn't a mother. Now I'm a mother. And all I care for, right now, is my daughter and her safety and her comfort.

Ben stands there, his eyebrows furrowed. Before we have any chance of moving, he comes into the room and slams the door behind him swiftly. Then he walks towards me, steadily. His blue eyes are on me. He has stubble on his chin and wrinkles near his eyes when he smirks, which he is doing right now. His hair is also cropped short, which makes it look darker blonde. Other than that, he's completely the same.

But not at all. Because the Ben I knew would laugh with me, tease me, protect me, and be there for me. The Ben that I used to care for, that I used to love, was someone else. He was my best guy friend. He was Alex's best friend. But then he decided to turn his back on Alex, and when Alex and I had that huge fight in California about how i cheated on him with Ben, which was utterly ridiculous and untrue, Ben swooped up into my life again when I was leaving and harassed me. He was about to go too far, when Alex had come and saved me. I had gotten away.

But it was Ben's fault for falling so low that he turned his back on his best friend and harassed his best friend's girlfriend. Kissed his best friend's girlfriend, confessed that he loved his best friend's girlfriend. How low can one fall? Ben has answered.

And not only did he do this, not only did he make me flee from California, but he also tracked me down, stalked me, and at that point, I knew his apparent 'love' for me had died down. Because no one kidnaps their lover, rapes them, gets them pregnant, and tortures many others close to her like his own best friend in the process.

So, no, I do not know who Ben is anymore. Ben is dead. This is another man. Another man.

Alex swoops up in front of Ben just before he can even touch me. I don't realize how fast my heart is beating, or how much I'm sweating right now.

But with one shove, Alex is on the other side of Ben, on his knees, groaning. "Now that he's out of the way, hello, Jenna."

My heart races. I gulp. Sweat beads over my forehead. "It's been quite a while." He adds, smiling at me evilly.

"Where's my daughter?!" I demand, tears prickling my eyes for the safety of Liane.

He shows me mock surprise, putting a hand on his mouth. "Gosh, it's also my daughter."

I growl. "I know."

"Well, anyways, I wanted to spend time with our daughter. Us as a family. How's that sound?"

Five years later. Five fudging years and he's still smug, evil, and full of hatred. I grit my teeth, flashbacks clouding my brain, paralyzing my senses. "Never. I will not let you near my daughter. You're a monster."

Something changes in Ben's eyes. "Ah, don't say that," he mocks pain and pouts. Just as he does, a thwack sound comes, and Ben is clutching his neck as Alex stands behind him, ready to fight.

"Leave. Her. Alone." He growls, and I gape at him. Ben winces, and then smiles at Alex, stepping beside me.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here? You still love the same girl after five years? After leaving her? How could you possibly be so selfish?" Ben shakes his head, making a tsk sound with his tongue. I lower my head.

Alex's jaw tenses. It's a soft spot for him. I can tell. But why should I care?

Nevertheless, I find myself caring.

"I mean, shouldn't you tell her about all of your hookups first? Or Celine back home? That woman is one hot one, though, I've got to say." Ben winks at Alex, who growls. He didn't want me to know that. Something pangs in my chest. Celine? Who's that? Has he moved on? What hookups? And I'm still stuck on one guy?

I shake my head, tears welling up in my eyes in frustration. I shouldn't be jealous, but I am. Why? I don't even have the answer to that myself. Alex charges at Ben, ready to punch him in the jaw, but Ben sleekly doges.

"Woah, I guess you didn't want her to know that. Oops. Sorry." Ben chuckles lightly. Alex grits his teeth, clenching his fists.

"Just let me have my daughter!"

Ben suddenly growls at me, grabbing my arm, as pain springs through it due to his iron grip. Alex tries to shove him off, but Ben kicks him right in the shin, perfectly, which causes Alex to cuss and hover behind.

"Listen to me, Jennifer. I did not ask for your permission to take your daughter. I already have her. And she's mine. I have a right over her. Care to take that to the court?" Ben snaps, and I whimper at his grip, struggling to get loose as I feel the blood drain from my face. He's right. But not about one thing.

"I'd love to take this to the court, actually. They know who you are. Investigations have been running and I have a lawyer now. I can afford things." I remind him, and he seems unfazed, which scares and confuses me.

"You think a little lawyer and the police will scare me off? I've payed practically each and every one of them to keep their mouths shut. Possibly gotten rid of some overconfident ones, too." Ben smirks. My hearts sinks. Of course. "Don't you know me well enough that I always come prepared? And this 'investigation' that you think has been going on, it hasn't, I have to inform you, because I'm the one who stopped it. So, there you are. Go ahead and try to take my daughter."

Rage rushes through my veins when he calls my Liane, my baby, his. "Don't you dare call her yours! She is not yours! You've done nothing for her over the past few years of her life and neither will you ever care to, because you're a selfish dickhead!" I exclaim, and I feel a hand on my shoulder, calm and protective. Alex. I brush it off.

Ben looks amused. Laid back. "I really don't care what you say, Jenna. You're just raging because you know you've lost once again and I've won. I came to fight for what's mine, and legally speaking, I have every single right to take Liane. I wasn't there for her because I didn't know where you were. Soon, I figured out but I needed to plan." He taps his head.

    "Give. Her. The. Kid." Alex growls through grit teeth, and his knuckles are curled up into a first so tight they're pale white. His eyebrows are furrowed, his jaw tight. Ben doesn't even flinch.

     "I'll have to think of something to shut you up, Alex. For now, you stay in here. I'm taking you, Jennifer. Somewhere else. I'll deal with this one later on." He grabs my arm, his fingers making contact with my skin. I grit my teeth through his iron steel grasp and plant my feet as hard as I can on the floor.

    "You can't force me, Ben! Where is my daughter?!" I scream again and again, but it seems my screams are worthless. Powerless. Empty. Hollow. Like my soul right now. Hollow and echoey and ever so lonely without my sunshine, my baby girl, the one who has been keeping me sane for the past couple of years.

    My voice has no power whatsoever. I scream and scream, but none of them can seem to hear. Sound doesn't seem to escape my mouth, and i don't know why.

    That's when it hits me.

   My eyes fly open to the same room I sleep in, to the familiarity surrounding me. I wipe a hand over my sweaty forehead and sit up immediately, patting the empty space beside me. But something is not right. If that was all a dream. . . Where is Liane?