10 👑 Responsibility

"Your Highness, His majesty wants to meet you

"Your Highness, His majesty wants to meet you." Jungkook's trail of thoughts was broken by a maid. He was staring at the sky wondering what Hyesoo was doing. Was she thinking of him just like how he did?

The Darlinian Prince nodded and stepped down from his balcony. He composed himself before walking toward the emperor's room. His father, one of the most powerful emperors beside the Mins, sat on his bed. He was waiting for his son to arrive.

"Father, you called?" Jungkook bowed.

"Yes, my son. I have an important matter to discuss with you." His serious tone made Jungkook furrow his eyebrows in worry. He feared the worst.

"I have grown old. I can feel the exhaustion in my bones. I am tired, son." He sounded extremely exhausted.

"Father tell me if you are under any pressure. You can go for a short trip if you need a break. I can manage the kingdom for a while in your absence."

"I don't need a break. I want to retire."

"What?" Jungkook's eyes widened in shock. He knew one day he had to take over the throne but he wasn't expecting it at the moment. "B-but I-"

"Jungkook, you are the crowned prince of Darlin. The countrymen love you. They respect you. I believe you will be a great emperor. You will write the history of the Jeons in gold." He gently squeezed Jungkook's shoulders in assurance.

"Then what about you, father?"

"I will leave the kingdom. I want to go give up my royal life. Being an emperor is not easy, I have committed sins that I am aware of. I want to repent. I want to make by afterlife less burdensome." Jungkook understood his father. Sometimes you need to sacrifice certain things for a greater good but the minute sin remains. People might forget but the person who sinned would be haunted forever. One may accept it or not but every life a warrior ends on the battlefield is considered a sin.

"Do you have anything in mind?"

"There is a small temple on the outskirts of the Himalayas. I would like to spend my remaining life worshipping God there. I know you are quite overwhelmed with this sudden decision but the time cannot be more perfect than this. You have recently won a battle and everyone is praising your bravery. They want you to be their ruler, their protector, and their guide."

Jungkook nodded, "Why out of everywhere the Himalayas, father?"

The Jeon emperor released a sad sigh before replying, "Because it is the place where I met your mother for the first time."

Jungkook's eyes widened at the newly acquired information. His mother had passed away when he was young. He couldn't remember much about her. The emperor gave everything to his son to fulfil the needs of a mother. Jungkook was allowed to talk with him freely except on the topic of his mother. As he grew up, he could see the sadness in his father's eyes every time he mentioned her name. Eventually, he stopped thinking about his birth-giver.