28 👑 Poisoned

There was another pin drop silence in the ceremony hall

There was another pin drop silence in the ceremony hall. Yoongi saw the royal doctors ready to jump if anything happened. Taehyung waited for the poison to react. He couldn't let his sister consume the curd knowing it might be poisoned. A part of him believed Hyesoo's words. He loved her too much to let her die even if guilty. He was expecting vomiting blood or a heart attack or probably he would faint, never to wake up again. But nothing happened after five minutes of anxious waiting.

"It's not poisoned," Nari concluded. The silence of the hall broke for the third time. Yoongi and others seemed to release a breath of relief. Taehyung and Rhea threw a disappointed look at Hyesoo before walking back to their original positions.

Hyesoo on the other hand was completely flabbergasted. She didn't know what trick was played there. The curd was supposed to be poisoned. Areum could never lie to her. Was she framed? She made a complete fool of herself infront of the whole nation. She didn't realize she was sobbing and at the same time hyperventilating. Everything around her became hazy chaos. The voices were muffled and her vision was unclear. She could only hear her breathing until she was engulfed in a warm hug.

"It's okay." Yoongi gently patted her back. He felt sorry for her loss. Maybe she reacted this way because Areum was killed. He knew how much she adored the maid.

Hyesoo didn't hug him back but buried her face into his chest. She tried to focus on his beating heart. She heard him mumble consoling words in her ears. Her tears soaked his attire but Yoongi didn't complain. She shook in his embrace. She felt pitied. Yoongi probably thought her insane. She was pictured as a desperate and needy woman who couldn't accept her husband's second wedding.

Yoongi let her cool down before parting away. He gently wiped the tears from her blood-strained cheeks and nodded in assurance. "I had made a promise to you that night. I will keep it. Don't worry. I will never ignore you nor let anyone touch you... and Areum will be given a proper cremation." He slightly squeezed her shoulders before walking back to Nari.

"In the name of God, I pronounce the Great Elesian emperor, Min Yoongi, and Lady Kim Nari, husband and wife. May God bless you with eternal happiness." The priest concluded.

The first Elesian Queen stood expressionless on her ground. The lump in her throat seemed to be clogging her words. She saw how her husband, her lover, was getting tied to a conjugal knot with another woman. The very woman who had tried to kill her. She saw how people were giving her judgemental gazes, some were disappointed like the Queen mother and Taehyung while some like Seokjin gave pitiful looks while Nari was lost in her own euphoria after marrying the emperor.

Finally, Hyesoo's eyes fell on Rhea. The woman's lips slightly curved up to form a smirk showing her victory. She felt her veins burning. She could not do anything to her. Rhea had played well to frame Hyesoo. She even had Areum killed. Maybe there wasn't any poison in the first place. That was until she saw Nari extending a glass of milk to Yoongi. It was the final ritual.