Chapter 47

"What the fuck," Ares frowns as we both have our gazes fixed on the laptop

"What the fuck," Ares frowns as we both have our gazes fixed on the laptop. "He clearly loves her, why won't he ask for her hand?"

"Because he's already courting her sister."

"What kind of bullshit–"

"Back then, it wasn't done," I interrupt him.

I started to play Bridgerton as soon as we settled down, and Ares was everything but pleased.

Started to complain about how stupid it is and only for people who believe in such, stupid love – his words.

"He already has said Edwina is the sister he'll wed, he can't just go back on his words," I clarify.

He kept quiet when we started watching it, but as the episodes went on and on, he started to ask questions about the characters and why some things were happening.

Due to the painkillers I took and Ares comforting me constantly, I forgot the pain and it's not bothering me anymore.

I'm resting my head on Ares' chest, his arm wrapped around me and pressing me tightly against him.

When we get to the point of Anthony proposing to Edwina, I gasp and cover my mouth with my hand.

"What the fuck is this," Ares sighs and shakes his head, running his hand up and down my arm, "Kate clearly likes him. Everyone is so blind to it."

"This is so sad," I whisper as we both watch the scene.

"This is why I like Eloise and the other brother the most. They're the least problematic of all of them," Ares snorts. I smile at the fact that he remembers the names.

"I love Eloise. She's iconic," I agree.

In the next episode, we watch as Kate and Anthony exchange discreet glances of longing, filling the room with tension that leaves one breathless.

"He's engaged to the wrong sister," Ares deadpans as we continue to watch. "No shit," I snort and snuggle him some more, loving the feeling of just... cuddling with him.

I never thought this possible.

As the wedding scene comes up, I can feel the tears burning my eyes as we watch the whole fiasco take place.

"Lena, baby," Ares whispers in my ear, "it'll all be alright."

"It just hurts to see this," I bring out, choked up, "I don't want to imagine what it feels like to see the love of your life marry someone else, while not being able to do anything about it."

He keeps quiet as we watch the scene escalate.

"This is why I don't believe in love," Ares murmurs as we witness the chaos. His statement has me freezing and I tune out the show.