Chapter 27

Valerie woke up feeling trapped. She tried to move but it was pointless. She opened her eyes to find Zain sleeping on her chest. His happy place. That was what he called it. A smile crept its way to her face and so did an idea. She reached for her phone and took a picture of him setting it up as her screen saver. She almost got away with it when her phone was taken away from her making her gasp. Zain looked at her screen saver and smiled, "You are one lucky woman", he said returning the phone to her hand and going back to snuggling on her chest making Valerie giggle. She thought of asking him about the silent treatment from the day before; for some reason, he seemed to forget it ever happened. She wanted a relationship that was not only full of love but also communication. She was sure that Zain loved her the way she was and she felt the same about him. But whenever Zain was angry or did not like something she did, he just walked away or gave her a silent treatment and that was something that made her uncomfortable. She wanted him to talk to her and hopefully one day that would result in talking about their pasts.

"Uh...Papa bear", she called him nervously. "Yes", he said shortly without moving a muscle. "Can we talk about yesterday?", she asked. "I'd rather not Val", he said still not moving. She released a breath and then just remained silent. She felt frustrated like something was choking her, and tears started coming out of her eyes. She wondered why was she always the one to push for things in their relationship. It was as if Zain just shut everything down whenever they had a misunderstanding, making her angry. "Can I go to the bathroom...please", she said hoping that Zain won't figure out that she was crying. Which was impossible because that is the first thing he did as he pulled away from her. "Valerie, why are you crying?", he asked looking concerned and she chose to use it as an opportunity to give him a taste of his own medicine. She got out of bed and headed to the bathroom quietly. She took a shower and by the time she got out Zain was making the bed. He was a neat guy and Valerie liked that about him. She went to the kitchen still not saying a word. She knew that cooking was the only way to make herself feel sane. She went forward with making chocolate muffins and coffee ready for her roommates. As usual, the lovebirds appeared in the kitchen right as she took the muffins out of the oven. "We love you so much", Yolanda said smelling a muffin as Valerie poured coffee for them and Zain who just walked into the room. He looked clean and sexy in his casual pants and t-shirt making poor Valerie swallow hard. She looked away quickly the moment their eyes met. She wondered how he managed to do it, giving someone you love a silent treatment was the most difficult thing she had ever had to do. "Are you guys fighting again?", Yolanda asked making Rayan furrow his brows. "No", "Yes", they answered at the same time making the lovebirds even more confused. "What did he do now?", Rayan asked Valerie, he was angry but Valerie could not let him fight his battles every time. "Nothing I can't handle", Valerie replied taking one muffin and going to the living room with her cup of coffee.

Liam: Hey Sous... I am giving some cooking lessons to high school kids today wanna come with me?

Me: 🤣🤣 OMG! What did you get yourself into?

Liam: I swear it's not my fault. It's for charity.

Me: So we are blaming a good cause?😒

Liam: Should I come to pick you up or not? 🙍‍♂️

Me: What time?

Liam: 1 pm. It's a two-hour session so I will have you back with Papa bear before sundown.

Me: Ok sure. And drop the name will ya!

Liam: What name😎. Be there in 30.

She smiled and knew this was the opportunity to get Liam to tell her the truth. "Who got you all smiley?", Yolanda asked. "Liam just invited me to a cooking charity. I think it will give me some time away from whatever this is", she said gesturing between her and Zain who was busy explaining something to Rayan. "Val, I have known Zain for ages and he takes time to open up to people so give him a break sometimes ok?", Yolanda said like she was annoyed at her making Val furrow her brows. "Yolanda, you above all people know how much I love that man but that does not mean that I remain caged in because he does not trust me", Valerie replied with a tone that was higher than usual. "How about you stop hanging out with that Liam and see if his behaviour won't change huh? Look, Val... I get that you are not used to getting such attention from men like him but that does not mean you get to flirt with Liam despite us telling you that he has feelings for you and at the same time pretend you can't stand Zain's reaction while you clearly know where the problem is. I mean what the fuck?", Yolanda spat at her roommate. Valerie was hurt, the only words that kept repeating themselves were 'you are not used to getting such attention from men like him' they made her feel unworthy and less attractive. "You know what Landa, you're right. Am I not someone worth the attention of either of them? Am just someone that always had to do what I was told, and get stepped on. Am someone who is always in the wrong and I get that am not beautiful enough or have a model figure like you but I have never, not even remotely cheated or flirted with any man no matter how they treat me. The last time I ignored my gut feeling in a relationship, I ended up in prison for something that he did, so am sorry if I want to matter in a relationship and am sorry if having a guy friend who happens to be my colleague is making your friend unable to trust me... You know what I need space. From all of this", Valerie spoke with so much pain and only when she finished did she notice a shocked Zain and Rayan standing behind her.