Chapter 33

Valerie could not understand why she got nervous when Zain was around. It was like they just started dating which was ridiculous. They made love just a week ago but the nerves were just all over the place the moment she stepped into his house. Seeing Zain all the time was nerve-racking, she doubted everything. She wondered, what if she placed the dishes in the wrong cupboard or switched on the TV without permission. She was used to sharing space with Yolanda but this was different. This was the man that she loved and she didn't want to be one of those girlfriends that controlled everything. She did not want to make Zain uncomfortable in his own home.

"Val, sorry am late, Pauline demanded I confirm attending some meetings", Zain said kissing her cheek. She blushed like an idiot as usual. "It's ok, no one wants to be on the bad side of Pauline", she replied after gaining her focus back earning a chuckle from Zain. She put her playlist on and hummed with the music only to look outside the window and notice that they were not heading home. Her confusion ended when they pulled in front of a restaurant that was just breathtaking. Zain got out of the car the moment a valet opened the door for her. She didn't say anything she just followed Zain's lead into the restaurant feeling his hand on her waist. "Mr. Burhan it's a pleasure", the waiter said leading the way. They were taken to a private room that was facing the garden that was full of roses of mixed colours. It was beautiful. "Wine?", the waiter asked. "Red, sweet", Zain said as the waiter walked away. "You don't drink sweet wine", she asked curiously. "Yes, it's for you", he replied. A few minutes later their waiter returned with a bottle of whiskey and wine. She smiled. Zain was a regular in the restaurant which is why they knew what he wanted. "What?", he asked. "You come here a lot?", she asked with a smile. "Well, it's Mum's restaurant so we kinda have to", he said sipping his whiskey. Her smile got even bigger. "It's beautiful", she said more to herself but he heard her anyways. "I have PTSD", he said out of nowhere making her gasp. Was he finally opening up to her? She was afraid that asking him to repeat what he just said would make him stop so she remained quiet. "I used to get nightmares so I started seeing a shrink. She was an old friend from the army. You are the first person to know about this. I was still having episodes when we met and there are times that I get too angry that I have to start counting backward just to avoid a panic attack. I have lost too many friends and every time I close my eyes, I dream of them, they are asking me why did I leave them behind or why didn't I fight hard enough. My whole house is a fortress, I have a surveillance room with motion sensors all over the house, I have a stash of firearms in the basement and the shooting range is so that I can always be ready. 

You're the first person to walk past my kitchen. The first person to chase away my nightmares. The past week was the best. I have never slept so peacefully in a very long time... I know that I'm not an easy person to be close to or to love but I am willing to change... for you. I know that I don't deserve you but I just want you to know that Iris King or Valerie Armstrong, whoever you want to be, I want to be by your side. I want to be better for you because you are all that makes sense to me, you keep me feel... sane. Am going to get better, not because I have to but because I want to be the man that you deserve. I love you... so much", he spoke with so much sincerity that made Valerie's eyes water. She tried finding words to say but she couldn't so she remained silent. She watched him breathe faster than usual, his hands were balled into fists. That was when she realised that he had mistaken her silence for rejection. She stood up, pulling him up with her. She pulled his lips to hers in a passionate kiss hoping that it would help him focus, she felt his hands on her waist, and it made her smile. Her trick worked, she pulled him deeper making him moan. Someone cleared their throat making them pull back. "Are you ready to order Mr. Burhan?", the waiter asked with a knowing smile. "Yes... uh, I will be having the usual and a meat lover's plate for her", he ordered as Valerie returned to her side of the table. They kept on staring at each other in silence while sipping their drinks slowly. She placed her hand on the table gesturing for Zain to hold her and he did, a little too fast making her chuckle. They were opening up to each other and she was happy about it. When the food arrived she was so excited, taking a picture of her food first then Zain's second then asking the waiter to take a picture of them. She was happy and she did not care how silly she looked because the smile on Zain's face was all that she wanted. "My stake is so delicious you wanna try it?", she said cutting the meat and dipping a piece in mushroom sauce only to see Zain looking at her with lust. She rolled her eyes. "Zain am talking about actual food stop having weird imaginations, what is wrong with you? Now open", she commanded and watched as he opened his mouth. "I know something way better than this", he said chewing slowly. "You're so cheesy", she said laughing at him which made him laugh too. They went on eating then dessert followed. She found out that Zain was not a pet person and that he enjoyed working out at night, his favourite colour was black which didn't surprise Valerie at all and that his favourite sex position was, cowgirl. She laughed because that was their first sex position and it made him cum embarrassingly quickly. "Oh god it's almost midnight, let's go home", she said looking at her watch. "Anything for you angel", he said as they walked out only to be bombarded by paparazzi.