Epilogue

Two years later...

Zain and Valerie were looking at the doctor like he had grown two heads. "Are you sure that is real?", Valerie asked as they both stared at the ultrasound screen that had two babies in it. "Uh... yes Mrs. Burhan. You're expecting twins as I said for the third time. As you can see from the measurements they are ten weeks old", the doctor said with hesitation clearly not understanding the shock on the two expecting parents' faces. "I was told that I won't be able to have kids... that... that my uterus was damaged... I... I", she started crying. The doctor was hit with realisation, she reached for her hands pulling her chair in front of her.  "Valerie, listen to me. I don't know why they told you that, all I can tell you is what I see now. What we are both seeing. You have two healthy babies growing inside you and you need to be healthy and strong for them ok? Twin pregnancies require extra care. I will be with you every step of the way ok?", the doctor told her and when their eyes met Valerie saw the determination that fuelled her with strength and happiness. She remembered that Zain was also in the room. He was quiet. Even though she knew he was hurting by the idea of not having kids, he never stopped loving her the same way. She saw it in his eyes every time he held Rayan's daughter, Raya.

Valerie was thinking of adopting before she started feeling sick, she called Zain who was in a meeting to take her to the hospital and here they were. He walked towards her putting his forehead on hers. The doctor was busy writing things down. "Here are the supplements that I need you to be taking every day ok? I will send you our appointment schedule over email along with my numbers. Feel free to call me anytime ok?", "Thank you Doctor Russel", "Please call me Tammy", she said handing Zain the pictures. He tried reaching for them but his hand was shaking so Valerie took them instead. After collecting the supplements from the pharmacy they went back home, Valerie drove. It was clear Zain was still processing so she wanted to give him his space. He was silent the rest of the day and night. Valerie couldn't sleep, she got out of bed, craving hot coco and that is what she made. She sat by the kitchen counter her handing falling on where the ultrasound stick was. She released a breath. "Thank you god", she said in a whisper. "Is that hot coco?", Zain asked in a sleepy voice making her giggle. "Yes, you want some with a muffin?", she said and watched as his face lit up. He nods his head, sitting next to her. She made him a cup handing it over with two muffins. "When I was getting your bag this morning I saw the adoption papers", he said while looking at the muffin in his hand like he was going to be asked to draw it again. Valerie swallowed hard. "Am sorry I made you think of that decision alone. I was so lost in myself that I forgot that you were also feeling the pressure... the pain, probably more than I was. I blamed you. I blamed you for trapping me in your heart only to deny my only wish. Having kids with you and I know it was selfish of me so I went back to therapy. That is how I was able to still be me around you. Am sorry. Am sorry that I gave into such things. Am sorry that I betrayed your trust by not opening up to you like I promised I would" he stopped and sniffed. Whipping his eyes with the back of his hand. She saw tears on the kitchen counter. The last time she saw Zain's tears were on their wedding day when he said his vows, the words were short and precise but held meaning. She was shocked by his words, she did not whether to be angry or not. "Am going to bed", she said ignoring his calls. She got between the sheets and cried herself to sleep.

She woke up super early the next day and was the second to get in the cafeteria. Yes, Liam was always there earlier than anyone. "Have you been crying", "No, it's allergies", "You are a terrible liar. Talk", he said pulling her down on a bench. She gave him one of the ultrasound photos. "This is amazing, congratulations so tears of joy then?", he said making her pull out the adoption papers she also had in her purse. "Am lost", he said looking confused. She told him the whole story up to Zain's confession. "Val, look at me. The man loves you, am not saying what he did was right but you should put yourself in his shoes. He likes bottling things up which is stupid if you're married but he came out, he finally told you. If I were you, I would give him a chance. He is your husband, not a boyfriend that you can change whenever they do stupid things without thinking, you know what I mean?", he said with a knowing look. Valerie turned to the ring on her finger. She did love him and he did apologise.

She has prepared his favourite meal and was sitting in the dining room waiting for him. He arrived looking like he had a horrible day. She walked towards him. He avoided her eyes, she removed his tie, unbuttoned his top two shirt buttons. "Come eat", she pulled him to the table feeding him quietly. "I forgive you Papa bear. But this is the last time I will allow this kind of thing. I love you and I would do anything for you. We need to talk to each other for this to work. We are about to become parents and I can not do this without you. I need you by my side. I need to know that you can trust me with your feelings", she said looking him straight in the eyes. "I promise to tell you everything, Valerie. I will tell you everything", he said pulling her for a hug. "You and our babies are everything to me. You are my world", Zain said and for the first time, Valerie did not feel anything but love when she heard them. She closed her eyes and enjoy his warmth, the warmth of the man that gave her the ability to love again.

The End