Chapter 28

Valerie packed her bag with clothes enough for a week. She was busy googling motels near her workplace when there was a knock on the door that was when she remembered Liam. She walked out of her room fast ignoring Rayan who was calling her, telling her to stop and listen but she was not in the mood. She wanted some time alone. "Hey Sous chef, it's a charity event, not a vacation that needs that kind of packing", Liam joked but when he saw her face, he went from charming to deadly in a minute. "Let's just go please", she said but he looked behind her, she turned only to see Rayan with a face full of guilt. "Liam... please", she begged making him reach for her bag, they walked to his car and drove off. She was still searching on her phone finally finding a motel that she liked.

"Hello guys, I am Chef Liam and this is Chef Valerie. Thank you for coming today. Honestly, I didn't know I was this famous", Liam introduced them to a full football field that amazed Valerie. It was a lot of people. Everyone laughed at Liam's statement. The place was full of more parents than students and she could see most women ogling over Liam making her smile. "So am awesome when it comes to the grill but a horrible baker, which is why Valerie is here to save me from embarrassment", the crowd laughed again and proceeded to their respective stations. Being there was all she needed. It was the best decision that Valerie ever made because she ended up having an awesome time. She saw a couple of photographers and she even posed for some photos. "You are really good at this", one of the parents told Valerie and when she turned she found herself looking at someone's chest, she was still processing when the wall spoke, directing her to look up. "Oh, thanks. Jeez, I need to start wearing heels", she joked making the man smile at her. He was good looking and his physique reminded her of Zain. "Am Jackson by the way. That redhead's father", he said pointing at a girl in a cheerleading uniform, she was busy pulling Liam in for a selfie. "Waoh! Is that how energetic you were in high school?", Valerie asked making the Jackson's ears turn red. He was embarrassed making her smile grow even bigger. "Not really... she gets it from her Mum I guess", he said scratching the back of his neck. "I don't judge so consider my lips sealed", she told him making him laugh. It was obvious that he wanted something from her considering the sessions were done and people were busy tasting each other's food. "Chef Valerie, I was wondering... would you like to have a cup of coffee sometime?", he asked sounding a bit more serious than before. "Yes, I don't mind. Am new in town so I guess I need as many friends as I can get", she said emphasising on 'friends' which made him smile. "I should have guessed. A beautiful woman like you would obviously be taken. But it's definitely a yes on friendship", he said. She was happy that he was ok with it because the last thing she wanted was to have more problems with Zain... again.

"Why am I dropping you at a motel?", Liam asked looking annoyed. "I had a fight with my roommate. We both said things we didn't mean so I just want to give us some space. I will be back after a week. Don't worry I will be ok", she said stepping out of the car. She checked into her room with a bathtub and a glass of wine being at the top of her list. Her phone was dead so she plugged it into the charger and went to relax after prepping her warm bath.

"Chef Armstrong, Mr. Burhan has requested to see you", Pauline told Valerie who was finishing her shift. "I can't see him am not done here", she said gesturing to the dishes that they were washing. Pauline looked at her with a knowing smile. "I'm afraid I have to insist Valerie", she said looking at her in the eyes. Valerie released a breath. She knew there was no way she could say no without sounding disrespectful. She dried her hands and followed Pauline. They entered Zain's office. It seemed to be all over the place. Zain was sitting at his desk focused on some papers. "Zain, she is here", Pauline said while leaving the office. He looked like he had not slept in ages. Valerie felt bad. "What you said to Yolanda. Was it true?", he asked walking closer to her. "Why would I lie about something like that?", she asked looking at him in his deep blue eyes that seemed to be tired. "I don't know, but all I know is there is no record of you being arrested", he said making her look at him with confusion until he handed over a file. When Valerie opened it, it was full of her information. Everything that Agent Stonebrige created, her fake life. She didn't know if it was ok for her to be happy that Zain's PI was horrible at his job or angry that he sent a PI to investigate her while they agreed that the past did not matter. "Why did you do this?", she asked him. When he remained silent, she looked up to see him emotionless. "I thought you said that the past didn't matter", she continued standing up and throwing the file in his face. "It does when I could be dating a liar or a criminal", he said adjusting his tie. "You think am a liar, a criminal. Is that what you think of me?", she felt tears starting to flow from her eyes. "You tell me. You said you were in prison because of your ex and there is no record of it anywhere. What do you want me to believe Valerie?", he said calmly but anger was all over his voice. "I have a reputation to keep, do you know what it will look like if the media finds out that the woman am dating is actually a convict?", he barked making her flinch. Valerie could not handle it, she stormed out of his office, leaving without anything, not even her phone.