Chapter 52

This is so fucking embarrassing

I'm downstairs, pacing in the lobby of the hotel. All that seems to go through my mind is the necklace I found.

Sitting down, I try to organize my thoughts and let out a deep breath. I remember the day he bought the necklace because I was paying attention to him – as usual.

He looked at the necklace with a pensive look in his eyes. Probably reminiscing everything that happened between him and Maya.

Maybe missing her.

Then he left it alone and like a fool, I went into the store after him and bought the necklace. Had been wearing the damn thing the whole time.

Only for my heart to break when I discovered that the color reminded him of Maya's eyes and the nickname he gave her.

I threw it out of the window. Ares must've put some work into finding it. Does it mean so much to him that he went and looked for it?

Does he need the reminder of Maya that much?

How did he even know I threw it away? And if he noticed the necklace on me before, why didn't he say anything?

I should go talk to him. And communicate.

He's been doing his best with me, and I run away as soon as I find something I don't like.

But I felt like I needed to cool down and gather my thoughts. Because it all overwhelmed me and I was hurt.

I swallow and stand back up, fiddling with my phone and putting it in my back pocket.

Raking a hand through my hair, I walk out into the lobby and go for the elevators. Funnily enough, when the doors open, I see Ares about to step out when he sees me.

"Elena," he breathes out, as in relief. He reaches his hand out for me and tugs me into the elevator, pressing the button for our floor. "You can't walk out on me like that," he frowns as he looks down at me.

I mirror his expression. "You've done that plenty in the past."

"And I'm sorry for that," he replies instantly, "I never knew how to deal with my emotions and sometimes they suffocated me."

Now I know how he felt. But it's not the right way to deal with things, and I should've known better.

I glance down at the floor, hurt consuming me. I part my lips to speak up, but Ares is first.

"I can explain, Butterfly."

"W-why?" is all I ask and look back up. But the elevator pings and signals that we arrived at our floor.

Instead of taking me to my room, he pressed the button for the roof. A place we always seem to find each other in.

He goes to take a seat on one of the couches and takes me with him, wrapping his arms around me.