Chapter 40

"Madeline-Madeline! Wake up!" I heard someone shout as I was shaken awake.

"What-what? Agh! D-don't h-hurt m-me. P-please." I stuttered as I cowered away from Harry in the darkness.

"Hurt you? I'm not going to-what would make you think that?! I left for 2 minutes to go to the bathroom and I come back in and you're crying and screaming in your sleep!"

"I-I'm s-sorry." I stuttered as he dropped his hand from my shoulder.

"When did that start happening? Why would you think I'd hurt you? You were fine earlier." He asked as I pulled my knees up to my chest.

"Um-I don't know...it started awhile ago..."

"Well that never happened before." He stated as he walked back to his side of the bed. I nodded my head and pulled the covers off me before standing up.

"I-I'm going to go g-get a drink of water-i-if that's ok I mean?" I asked nervously as he looked up at me with a confused look.

"It's fine...you don't have to ask."

I walked out of the bedroom and into the short hallway before entering the kitchen and grabbing a glass of ice water. I sat down at one of the bar stools and sipped from my glass until I heard footsteps making me jump.

"Maddie? What're you doing up?" Liam asked as he rubbed his eyes and took a look at the microwave clock which read 3:28.

"I-I couldn't sleep...and was thirsty." I said as I took another sip and watched Liam grab himself a glass.

"You ok?" He asked after a few moments making me nod my head. "I know you're lying. Ever since you came here you jumped away from all the hugs we gave you. What's going on?" He asked making me sling my head down and look at my feet.

"The past months have been hard..."

"Well, time to spill. Before I force it out of you."

"I-I guess hearing about all the stuff you guys did put a burden on me. The q-questionings were really tough and they got a-angry when they couldn't get answers out of m-me. That's why I had to start seeing a therapist and I-I guess they made me become afraid of you guys again...which is h-how it s-should be." I said as I put my glass in the sink and turned towards the hallway.

"You have no reason to be afraid of us now. We're keeping you safer here than what you'd be at home. Trust me." He said as he pulled me into a hug making me flinch at first from the touch but melt into his arms once I realized he meant what he said.

"Madeline." A gruff voice spoke from the hallway making me jump. Liam turned me around to face Harry and stood frozen in place.

"Go on." He whispered in my ear as he pushed me slightly towards him. Harry opened the bedroom door and followed me in eyeing me closely probably wondering why I was having secret conversations with Liam at 3 AM. He shut the door and looked at me, his hand brushing my arm slightly making me jump.

"Why are you scared of me all of a sudden?" He asked with genuine concern in his eyes.

"N-nightmares." I said looking down at the floor.

"How long have you been having them?"

I sighed out a long breath of air before answering "since you got put in prison."

"Well you slept fine until I left." He said furrowing his eyebrows.

"I-I know. That's why I'm scared."

"What-why?"

"Cause once you leave again they're going to s-start all o-over. And I'll have to s-see that t-therapist a-again."

"I knew she was no good. She's the one who's been making you have these dreams. God damn she's probably made me out to be some monster am I right?!" He said making me nod my head and look up at him weakly. "I'm not leaving."

"Y-you will eventually."

"But not right now. C'mon lets go back to sleep." He said as he brought me back towards the bed and climbed in beside me. He placed his arm across my waist gently and pulled me close to him with his nose in my hair. "I'm not going to hurt you." He said feeling me flinch slightly.

"I-I know."

A/N:
Just curious but how did you come about this story? Did you find it in the discover tab, on my Quotev, or something else? Pls answer, I desperately want to know how people are actually finding this story. [WILL ALWAYS BE OPEN FOR ANSWERS]