Chapter 5: X-men? (1)

Charles Xavier was led to the chamber of Cerebro by Jean Grey, with Logan a few steps behind them.

"So how old are ya?" Logan asked casually as Jean sighed.

"Asking a lady's age? Real smooth." Jean said sarcastically, sighing. "I am in my 20s."

"Huh? Damn, I could swear ya look a decade younger-" Logan froze. "Nevermind."

Jean held back a giggle while Charles chuckled softly. He had seen Logan's memories when the latter had returned from the future. So he knew what destiny he and Jean shared in another timeline. It seemed Logan's connection with Jean was so strong that he was hitting on her even with lost memories.

This man, Logan, was rescued by Storm and Nightcrawler after they saw him drive his truck to a lake, apparently sleepy. For a man who can heal a severed head, sleepiness really was a weird weakness. In any case, after waking up and almost hurting Jean, Logan was trying to ease things between each other.

Charles, though found it amusing, had something else to focus on at the moment as he was in front of Cerebro's operating table.

"Step back, Jean." Jean did so, and he placed the headgear of Cerebro on his head.

Immediately, the huge round room buzzed as a hologram of white light spread all over. Thousands of humans formed in the air, made of white light, as the Professor explained.

"These white humans are plain, regular humans." With a command of his mind, the scene changed as the white humans were replaced by red ones. "These, on the other hand, are all mutants. I can also find Mutates with Cerebro, they appear as blue humans, but we are not here for that."

"Yeah, about that." Logan asked. "Why are we here anyway?"

Rather than answering with his voice, Charles closed his eyes and tried to locate a single presence. That girl was probably still in the US, because she only left her home in Mississippi a few hours ago, so he limited his mind to the US.

Seconds passed and the holograms shifted, changing every few seconds before finally stabilising, zooming in on the red form of a teenage girl.

"This is..."

"Anna Marie," Jean replied to Logan's question. "She's a recently awakened mutant who accidentally put her boyfriend into a coma, though I suppose ex-boyfriend is the correct term now." She said, "We contacted her family and they were supposed to let us 'handle her', as they liked to say it. We were to pick her up today, but it seems she fled from her home this morning."

Logan hummed as Charles frowned.

"Anything wrong, professor?" Jean asked, worried.

"...Anna is with someone weird. Erik?" He asked himself. "No, no, even though Erik can evade my radar, this one is slightly different. It's a natural power, unlike Erik's helmet."

"What's he talking about?" Logan asked as Jean gave a short explanation about Erik, aka Magneto, and his helmet. "Aha. So is the girl with someone you can't sense. Is she in danger?"

"I... I am not sure." Charles had a deep frown. "But considering I can't read him at all, it's better to assume he is a threat. Be ready, we will go meet him tomorrow in the morning and save Anna."

Jean nodded while Logan just sighed.

—★—

"First day, and already a hookup? Can I join?" The gatekeeper had said so while Enrique led Anna to his apartment.