Chapter 8: Game of Gods (2)

From Spider-man's make-shift costume Enrique knew this spider was Tom Holland's one, so he had to visit Queens when he decided to meet the friendly neighbourhood hero.

From what he gathered in the past few hours, Peter started this superhero deal about a month ago. These days he only came out at night, so Enrique was planning to do heroism by himself until night came.

He could have started something big himself to draw Spiderman's attention and act like he saved the day, but he had read too many of those scenarios happening in the comics and knew it never ended well. Say, Mysterio, for example. So he decided to let things play naturally.

Soon it turned out that today was Enrique's lucky day (while some others had their luck down the gutter) because he came across a burning building in Queens. That big of a fire would surely get Peter out before night.

["Why do you smile like that seeing a fire?"] He heard Mut's confused voice in his mind. ["What a weird child."]

Enrique decided to play hero before Peter could come.

—★—

"Hey, nerd! Eating that cheap shit like usual?" A short chubby brown boy, Flash Thompson, yelled from the side as he got a laugh from his friends.

However Peter, the target of the insult, didn't even turn to look which caused the boy to yell out some more insults.

Peter shrugged.

After fighting criminals with his life literally on the line, these insults just didn't hit Peter like before. Rather, it came out as childish instead.

"If only he knew who he was insulting." The fat boy sitting beside Peter said, chuckling as he ate his food.

"Shh, Ned, not here." Peter whispered, watching the fat boy's eyes go wide as he put a finger over his own lips. "Good."

Just then, Peter felt his phone vibrate in his pants in a manner that meant it was a 'Breaking News'. He took out his phone and checked the latest notifications.

"Holy shit, Ned." Peter cursed as he read the news. "It's a fire. Ned, I need to go."

As Ned tried to say something, Peter threw him a thumbs up and ran while gulping down on a water bottle.

It's a three-story building where the fire started, so there were at least a dozen people in there. He had to hurry, or there would surely be casualties.

Peter changed into his red hoodie, blue trousers, and goggles, and swung through the skyscrapers of Queens, New York. Soon, he reached the emergency scene where firefighters were putting out the fire. That was their job, and Spiderman's job was to save anybody who may be inside the fire.

"Are there people still inside?" Peter asked as he dropped in front of a firefighter, making the man blink before he nodded.

"Yes, but-"

"Alright, I am going in." Saying so, Peter was about to jump inside the burning three-story building, however...

"There is no need for that." A low crispy voice said and once Peter turned to the source of the sound, he found a large man flying down from the third floor, a girl on his embrace who had her arms wrapped around his neck in fear. "She was the last person inside."

The man wore a pristine white costume, a big lightning symbol on his chest within where small black orbs danced as if it was a live wallpaper. His white cape floated behind him, and a gold and white mask covered his face under the hoodie.