33: Emma Frost (3)

Chapter 33: Emma Frost (3)

The White King.

Within the Hellfire Club, a group of people with the highest authority are referred to as the Inner Circle. These people are given a title based on chess pieces, which prove their position within the Circle.

Pawn, Knight, Bishop, Rook, Queen, and King. These pieces all have a 'White' and 'Black' version of themselves, as what happens in a game of chess. Here, obviously, the Black King and White King are the ones who hold the most power, both super and political, within the club.

Enrique knew that much, but beyond that was knowledge unknown to him— as he wasn't sure what timeline this world's Mutants followed. But whatever the case, accepting such an offer would undoubtedly make him grow faster, quicker.

However,

"I decline."

Enrique was smarter than that.

* * *

Emma didn't trust this Enrique Nova at all.

To begin with, she didn't trust people because she knew about their thought processes, but in this particular case, she didn't trust him for exactly the opposite reason– that she didn't know about his thought process.

Yet, she offered him the position of the White King, the one person who would have power over her own body and soul.

Because amongst the people in this current era who had money, power, and fame— besides perhaps Tony Stark, only this Enrique Nova might be able to defeat Shaw, the current White King.

Sebastian Shaw, the monster in human skin, has been using her as a life stock for years. If Enrique managed to overthrow him as the White King, then Emma would finally be free.

Freedom. That's why she was offering this unknown and suspicious Superhero such a world-ending offer.

Though true that Enrique didn't possess a great quantity of the three qualities that she spoke of— Money, Power and Fame— but the more important part was that he lacked a real past. Therefore, Emma could easily fabricate a noble background for him, enough for him to be accepted by the other Inner Circle people.

The plan right now was as follows; Emma would fabricate a fabulous background for Enrique, and he would later defeat Shaw in the battle of thrones. Then, he will be the King, and she will be the free Queen.

It was a smooth plan.

Yet, he just had to say this.

"I decline."

Emma's lips twitched barely noticeably when he declined her out loud with a flat face.

* * *

The limo kept moving forward in silence for a few more seconds before Emma sighed gently and asked politely.

"And why is that so?" she said. "Perhaps I was wrong to assume you know what the Hellfire Club actually is?"

"No."

Emma continued speaking, uncaring of Enrique's denial of her claim.

"The Club is a superpower in this world. Have you heard of the conspiracy theory about the group called 'Illuminatis' before?" Emma said. "We are the thing closest to that. We rule the world from behind the shadows."

"Money, power, and fame – you can have everything. You already have some from within three of these, but you can't imagine the sum you'll receive as the White King. It's the highest role in the club, even beyond my own as the White Queen."