48: In Look for An Assistant

Chapter 48: In Look for An Assistant

"Enrique – Enrique! Come on, wake up! Y-you can't leave us like this!"

Waking up to a girl yelling and crying with a southern accent didn't really help the slight buzz Enrique was already feeling in his head.

"Ah-! You're up!"

The same voice gasped, as Anna herself on top of him, hugging him tightly.

Anna Marie was surely worried; and when Enrique looked around, he realized Greer was the same. However, seeing him wake up, both were greatly relieved now.

"You two, I am fine. Nothing bad happened, it was just... some spiritual deity who called upon me." Enrique told the truth, yet Greer's relieved expression turned deadpan. "Hey, stop giving me that look. This god and magic stuff is actually real. Don't you remember how Emma Frost couldn't read your mind?"

"Sure."

"Anna, get off me slowly. My claws are out, you'll hurt yourself." Enrique didn't move his hands and waited for her to get off him by herself. Greer pulled her to the side while Enrique began to take calculated breaths. "Wait a few minutes, let me re-transform."

Enrique laid straight on his spot and began to meditate, coveting to retract his claws and return to human. A few minutes passed while the girls fully calmed down, and he returned to his natural form right in front of them.

"Whew." Opening his eyes when done, Enrique sat up with a whiff of breath. "That was straining."

["Why do you attract Animal Gods every other Tuesday?"] Goddess Mut's voice rang out in his head, to which he just gave an innocent shrug.

"How would I know? It's not my fault that every God wants me." Enrique talked to the air as Greer deadpanned once again. "You better stop this, Greer, or I will send you to my Goddess' heaven tonight to see things for yourself."

"Alright, sure. You don't have schizophrenia." Greer chuckled dryly. "Anyhow, why did the Amulet react so explosively with you?"

"Similar powers, too similar, so it's like a glass of water overflowing," Enrique explained in short. "That accidentally sent my consciousness to the creator of the Amulet, who is the Tiger God."

After meeting the Tiger and talking with it, Enrique theorized it wasn't a coincidence that he attained White Tiger powers from the Mutant Machine. He got this power because the biggest White Tiger in the universe was related to darkness and the void, just like him, so the wheel of probability gave him the same powers as the Tiger.

Enrique wondered if this brought him some powers he wasn't aware of yet.

Until now, he only thought this beast form provided physical benefits. But what if it gave supernatural powers as well? Like some edgy darkness or void powers, or even some sort of chi-related powers?

It wouldn't be weird for him to discover them later on, to be fair. After all, Enrique only learned how to return to human form a few days ago—and even that still took him minutes to do— so it wouldn't be surprising if he didn't yet know of more powers that this form provided him with.

'Whatever. It's not as if I can just try to shoot black webs from my wrist or dark laser from my eyes and succeed. Let's leave it alone and see it unfold naturally.' Enrique sighed in his heart and stood back up.

"Anyhow, let's not waste any time sitting around. We still have training to do." Enrique stretched his body and reminded the two girls. "Let's start."

Greer was still a bit out of herself because of the incident yesterday, but Anna was excited to train with Enrique. The girls were calm by now and nodded easily.