UEM 00: Prologue

Prologue

"You skipped dinner because of this, huh?"

His voice sent chills down my spine as he started speaking to me. The crowd whispered in silence. They are probably wondering why I and this man two meters away from me hasn't started the match yet.

I had a feeling that he had been following me for weeks. But seeing him here in front of me, at this high-class mago showcase convinced me enough that he had an intent to face me head-on. Here... so I won't be able to run away.

"Look who's talking," I scoffed and slowly gave him a humorless smile.

"Go, Minah! Lampasuhin mo 'yang lalaking 'yan!" I heard my friend cheering from the sea of classic witches.

Unti-unting umugong ang mga bulungan. Kanya-kanyang hiyaw sa aming dalawa. They probably made a bet over this match.

They should root for me, though. I'll win this no matter what. It doesn't really matter if I win or lose, but my pride won't just take it if I'll be losing with this scheming jerk.

His presence is huge enough to intimidate me. Hindi naman lingid sa kaalaman ko kung gaano siya kalakas. Marami na rin akong naririnig na balita tungkol sa kanya at kung gaano siya ka-pilyo at kagaling sa pakikipaglaban.

But no one knows the extent of my attribute. I guess hiding in the shadows for years is really a perk, huh?

I took a deep breath and controlled the overflowing souro in my veins. I have no problem with controlling it. I'm just scared that I might get carried away because for the first time in my life... I want to win a freaking lousy match. Against this... weirdo.

I suddenly remembered my job in the middle of staring at my opponent. I noticed that he's getting started as well. I might be pressured matching with his pace.

Pero kapag hindi ko ginalingan, siguradong mapapahiya ako. Maraming nanonood. Not that I'm popular anyway. Pero kapag nagpabida ako sa mga ito, malalaman nila ang kakayahan ng attribute ko.

Why am I overthinking this? Tss. What's important is I'll be able to have fun... and see the color of his blood and smell it. I wonder if he's still alive in the present.

"Matagal pa ba 'yan? Bahala na nga kayo!" reklamo ng nagsisilbing referee ng paligsahang ito. I couldn't blame him for his words. We've staring with each other for more than five minutes now.

Just like what I heard, he's a fire attribute user. And its range... is impeccable.

He did the first attack, as I've expected. He targeted me with bullets of flying fireballs. The fireballs he fired were fast and I almost got hit if I wasn't prepared. Just before the first batch of his fireballs reached me, I dodged them with my bullets as well which are made of water – in contrast to his.

Dahil kasingdami ng water bullets ko ang fireballs niya, agad na naapula ang mga baga nito. My water bullets only work well as defense. I know, for a fact, that I can't just attack him if he's using the same skill, but with his fire attribute.

Because my bullets extinguished his fast enough, smoke enveloped the distance between us. When the fumes disappeared, I saw him smirking and launching a new batch of bullets, twice as many as his first launch.

Ano magbabarilan na lang ba kami rito?

I could hear the cheers of the crowd. I badly wanted to fire them bullets as well. How I wish I could.

To discard his fireballs faster, I lifted my right arm up to the level of my chest. I stretched it in front of me and opened my palm with great force. Kung kanina, mga bala na gawa sa tubig ang lumabas, ngayon ay malaking pwersa ng tubig na.