UEM 14: Callophria

UEM 14: Callophria

I could feel beads of sweat trickling down from my forehead. I tried my hardest to control my souro without using too much of it.

It's not new to me. I've been an assistant healer for almost three years. I've treated a lot of patients before and had done numerous healing techniques, depending on the cases of the patients. And of course, I must include how I could manage to purposely let my souro out of control. I could also disguise poisoning my patients as a healing technique.

But I guess, I really don't know everything. I still have a lot to learn.

Because what I'm doing now is beyond my experience.

This fucking bunny has to live. I have to revive it.

I kept my slightly trembling palms open over the dead rabbit on the table.

"Not all Classic Witches are gifted with bountiful souro and excellent attributes. Some were born normal and fated to fill other roles in society," I heard Ma'am Mediana say along with the continuous hit of her heels on the floor.

"That's why it's a must for us to use our attributes and determine where we excel... determine our mago. We have the most important role. We are the pride of our race," she continued as she roams around the room, checking our performances.

Only her voice and steps can be heard inside the room. All the students were critically absorbed in the task, not wanting to receive the consequence of failing this activity.

Who would even want to use their free time outside the campus just to find a rare plant that can cost you your life?

It actually did sound tempting to me at first. I wanted to go to our mansion or the healing station without having to sneak out.

But I could feel that Ma'am Velen is keenly watching every move I make. I'm sure I'll be tailed if I'll go off campus. I might do something stupid and I don't really want that.

I want to have a firm grasp of my situation first before embarking on much tougher situations. I can't be careless despite having those three in my back.

Also, I want to avoid the syndicate. I'm a bit relieved that the University's security is tight so it'd be really hard to slip in without getting caught. I still don't know what to report to them. I have learned a huge thing about the healing department and I strongly don't want them to know about it.

"We, Classic Maheias, shouldn't be mindless of using the gift that we possess. I'm sure you know about it already. But I still want to remind you that using our attributes and mago for bad personal reasons is prohibited. I don't want to hear someday that you, future professional healers, are utilizing your knowledge and skills for injustices and the destruction of the common good. No matter how good and ideal your intentions are, involving innocent lives we pledged to take care of is evil," she added, her voice getting louder.

I want to laugh at what I heard. Because clearly, I've been breaking that very rule since I met Letizia. I have strayed from that path for so long. And future? The only future I've been looking forward to is to find Letizia, know the truth behind our existence, and get out of this illusion world... if ever it is really true.

All my plans and goals only revolve around those things.

Sure, I want to be a great healer. I want to connect with those who need healing and treatment. But I don't think I can be an innocent healer. I'm way far from that.

And again, all these things are still unsure. I don't even know what awaits me in the real world... if it is really true.

I remained silent and serious as I struggled to bring back this bunny to life.