UEM 18: The Palace

UEM 18: The Palace

I softly caressed the white pearl earring on my left ear and stared at it in the mirror for quite a time. It seemed like it didn't match my butterfly pendant that was hanging innocently on my chest, becoming more eye-catching because of the sweetheart neckline of my dark green puffed-sleeved dress reaching just an inch above my knee.

This would be my look for today, including my long green hair in a low bun with some small white butterfly clips scattered on top of my hair. The light makeup Maori had done on my face was fine and comfortable. I somehow looked like I was from a prominent family, except it was true.

But I never had dressed up as elegant as this before. I rarely let the maids touch me and the thought of going to the palace with this look makes me think that I'm twice more elegant and sophisticated now.

"This hairstyle looks good on you. Lana has really good taste," Maori praised me once again, pertaining to Lana's suggestion on how I should do my hair.

She gently sat on my bed next to me and stared at my face in the mirror as well. Our eyes instinctively met on the reflection, and I could see the unsaid questions lingering on them.

If only I could tell her the truth right away, I could have done it a long time ago. But I don't even know how I would process everything that is happening to me. It feels like it keeps on piling up and I'm just trying desperately so not all of them would fall all at once because it'd surely cause destruction for everyone, especially her.

"You'll go home naman later, right?" tanong niya, mahihimigan ang kaunting kalungkutan sa boses.

She's surely overthinking some things. We both saved the princess but only I got invited to the palace. It probably seemed weird and confusing to her.

But I did explain to her that it was related to the tasks Ma'am Velen was giving me in our apprenticeship session. It was true, though. However, I didn't elaborate it to her so she's probably waiting for more information, which I couldn't explain to her.

Instead, I told her that I needed to do that so I could establish more connections to the palace as a healer, not just as a Castania. She accepted my explanations of mine without too many questions.

A small smile crept on my lips. "Of course. Mabilis lang naman ako roon. Uuwi na rin ako agad," I assured her honestly.

Mabilis lang naman talaga ako roon. Lalo na kung makakahanap agad ako ng tyempo. Kailangan ko lang talaga umalis nang maaga para maaga rin akong makarating doon.

I recalled my conversation with Gregory the other day about our plan. It was indeed simple, but I knew it was way harder to execute.

We both agreed that he would distract Princess Mirah while I would try to strike up a conversation with Ravil Robaire. I have to talk to him about a lot of things, including personal ones. I must at least get relevant information from him about his encounter with Letizia, if ever he's really one of us.

I know that the only thing Lana wanted us to do is to observe him and get something important out of him. We have to confirm if he's one of us. She said that it'd be better if we could cut him, so we'll be able to see the color of his blood, the best way to know if he's really one of us – which I had decided to do after careful deliberation.

It'd depend on the situation. If he won't agree to have a random one-on-one match with me, then I would have to try to get close to him physically and inflict a wound in secret. I know the first option sounds dumb, but I'd try my best to not be suspicious.