UEM 21: Privileges

UEM 21: Privileges

A headache is an understatement. I could feel that my head would blow up in no time. It's excruciatingly painful that I had to pray to all the goddesses for an immediate death.

I balled my fists as I lifted my heavy eyelids. I slowly pulled myself up and leaned my back against the headboard of the familiar bed. It took me a minute before completely registering in my mind that I was at our dorm, particularly in my bed.

The room was empty and quiet. Lana and Maori were nowhere to be found; I remembered to be here last time I was conscious. The last time I was conscious. The time I went home from that life-sacrificing training with Ma'am Velen when I had to move a gigantic boulder.

Right. I passed out. And when exactly was that? It was just last night, wasn't it?

I panicked and searched for the wall clock across the room, near Lana's bed. The shorthand was pointing at two, and I was not even sure if it was dawn or afternoon. The room was quite dark, the door was closed, and all the curtain blinds were pulled down.

I got frantic and immediately took off the comforter spread on my lower body. No matter how weak I felt in every corner of my limbs, I did my best to support my weight and reach for the cold floor.

Just as I was about to completely stand up, the door opened with force, and it created a scandalous sound.

"What's with you being this jumpy in the afternoon?" Lana said with a deadpan look, contradicting how worked up she was when she opened the door.

I felt relieved as soon as I saw her and continued to balance my body. She walked toward me and used his two fingers to push my shoulder, making me weakly sit on the bed.

"You better take as much rest as you can while you still have the opportunity. Ayaw kong may lulumpo-lumpo sa grupo ko," she firmly said, looking at me straight in the eyes.

I could not find my words and remained quiet. I just kept on looking at Lana, who was now in front of me, and the dimmed surroundings. Since she mentioned that it's still in the afternoon, I bet all the reason for this set-up is to make sure that no one can peek at me through the window. Or whatever the reason is.

"I know you've got lots of questions, and so do I. But save your energy and just calm down in the meantime," she said, lazily sitting at Maori's bed.

I took a deep breath and tried to process everything. My memory was working just fine, and I could still recall everything that had happened in the training. Now that I've come to this conclusion, I'm not even sure if I even passed that training. I did not just mess up the boulder, but also my body! I did so badly.

I could feel that my souro was flowing all throughout my body, alright, but I have no energy to make big moves or even the simple ones.

Ma'am Velen had told me that she'd still think about the result, but it was more possible for me to fail. But there is still hope for that. I mean, I should hope for that.

"Wala pa namang isang araw akong tulog, hindi ba?" bahagyang kinakabahan kong tanong kay Lana kalaunan.

She sighed and nodded. "You came back earlier, around three in the morning, so I must say you're sleeping for almost half of the day," she answered and slowly surveyed me from head to toe.

I nodded back and thought of what to ask next. It's good that it did not take me a day or two to wake up because I certainly will not want to miss something out. And I've got limited time on my hands, so I should make the most of it.

Napailing-iling ako at patuloy na nalunod sa dami ng iniisip. Although sleeping in for several hours is not that bad for a messed-up body like mine, I skipped school. I skipped my classes, and it is such a waste!