UEM 24: Warnings and Attacks

I fell to my knees as I witnessed the huge bubble I had created slowly shrink and pop off. With the remaining souro left in me, I channeled it to the now-treated horses and supported their accumulated mass so they would land on the ground safely.

That was probably the longest fifteen minutes I ever had in my entire life. But I guess I did great. I'm confident enough that I managed to treat all the injured horses within the strict timeframe given to me. And I am positive that those who have had it really rough will heal in no time.

I gave it my all. It was rewarding.

I turned my head weakly to my left side as I felt Ma'am Velen's presence and poking stare at me. She was all serious and silent. As much as I wanted to ask her if she was at least satisfied with what I had done or if I was even successful, I just stayed quiet and let her lead the talk.

I've got no energy left in me anyway.

I heaved out a long and heavy sigh and brought my eyes back to the horses. Now that I've got some sense of reality, I cannot help but think about what exactly happened in the West last night. There was a bombing. Witches and animals died. Many were injured. And these horses transported here are just half of the number of horses that were hurt.

And who, even in the right mind, would have done that? It is wrong to accuse without solid proof, but it wouldn't be surprising if it was my family's syndicate who did it. However, now that I'm thinking about it, the incident took place in the West where Gallegos reign. Gallegos are part of our syndicate. They were just newly added to the organization, it is quite impossible to be the target of this scandalous treachery this early. Unless they got into Katanas' nerves or had done something treacherous too.

But whoever really did it surely wasn't playing around. This incident could just be a warning sign of a more ominous disaster that is about to happen.

I shook my head off and took another sigh. Gregory must be frustrated as hell right now. And I would not be shocked if I received a letter from Tita Sancha today about what happened. Or worse, they'll request that I go home to assist in the healing station.

It's not like I do not want to help. I'll be more willing to oblige if innocent civilians are the ones I'll be healing. But I've got my own priorities, too. As selfish as it sounds, I want to dedicate all my time to training.

"It's good that you understand how exactly a healer's circulation of souro works. Keep this up, and your missions will not go wrong. But I must say that the horses may have received treatment from you; you should know that you still need to work on properly disseminating the energy pressure to your patients. It'll be extremely helpful to you to hone that because there will be inevitable times that you have to treat patients simultaneously," Ma'am Velen said in her monotone.

I nodded lightly and felt relief in my chest. Her feedback was like music to my ears. I could not help but feel ecstatic deep down that I somehow managed to succeed in this other training mission of hers.

"You may go now. We'll still continue making those bottles of antidotes and train every night. I'll let you know soon if your improvements will be enough to join Liera's team. And a reminder... skipping a night means you're out."

Muli akong tumango at napalunok. I could feel the pressure coming back to me, but I was grateful that, despite her busy schedule, she still offered to train me.

Well, I'd be lying to myself if I did not doubt her intentions. I still kind of feel that she has her own reason for doing this. But whatever the reason, I'll make sure to take advantage of this.