UEM 32: Donovian's Alphabet

"How was your lame mission?" Kimberlia taunted as she scanned her eyes from me to Lana.

I have no energy for her useless words. I wanted to ask her about a lot of things, confront her, and force her to tell me what she has been planning while playing with both the syndicate and the university. But I just know doing all those things would be pointless.

I saw Lana's eyes glimmer in amusement and stretch for a small, jeering smile.

"Oh, you'd be proud of us if we told you every detail of what we have done..." Lana answered in a low and sarcastic tone.

I was expecting Kimberlia to scoff at that. But I observed nothing on her face but extreme resistance to show her disgust and anger at Lana's response.

Napansin ko rin ang madilim na reaksyon nina Caori at Vienna. They were glaring at us as if we had wronged them.

Nakita ko naman ang pagbuntong hininga ni Aladio at ang pagtitimpi ni Eros para pigilan ang dalawa sa potensyal na pag-aaway.

As if witnessing a miracle, Kimberlia began marching off with her groupmates, leaving the faceoff first.

I just shook my head in exhaustion and turned to Lana, who had now brought back her stern, cold expression.

Inunahan ko na siya sa paglalakad at dumiretso sa tatlong matiim na pinagmamasdan ang paglapit ko.

"What did they tell you?" Maori asked worriedly.

Nagkibit-balikat ako at tumabi sa kanya. "Another nonsense..." I told her, and I laid my back on the couch's headrest.

"As much as possible, do not pick a fight with them. Just avoid them," Felix seriously said. His eyes were boring to me.

Napataas ako ng kilay. "If anything, tell that to Lana."

"You act like you were never provoked and had no claptrap arguments with them," Gregory chimed in, which somehow triggered the annoyance I've been trying to suppress.

"Gregory, you've got only two options... It's either you shut up..." I drawled lazily, "Or you shut the fuck up," I hissed warningly and rolled my eyes at him.

"Minah..." saway ni Maori at hinawakan ang braso ko.

Muli akong napairap at nanatiling nakasandal sa upuan. Nakita ko ang pagngisi ni Gregory na para bang matagumpay siyang nainis ako. Felix, on the other hand, remained calm and just shook his head on us.

Ilang minuto pa kaming nagtagal sa headquarters bago nakumpirmang maaari na kaming umalis. Muli kaming bumyahe pabalik sa paaralan at sa mga kanya-kanyang naming dormitoryo.

The last day of the month for Daisy was too long for a Castania like me. Akala ko ay ang pagbalik ko sa dorm ang makakapawi ng pagod ko, pero kahit ilang oras kong pinilit ang sariling magpahinga at matulog ay hindi ako pinatahimik ng mga bumababag sa isip at puso ko.

I wanted to congratulate myself for successfully accomplishing both the missions I needed to complete, but I could not help but still feel lacking. The fear and guilt also did not let me have my peace, and they continued to loom in my system.

Kahit alam kong para lang akong naghahanap ng batong ipupukpok sa ulo ko, lumabas pa rin ako ng aming silid upang makapaglakad-lakad.

And I was so right. I anticipated these things to happen.

Every student was throwing glances at me, full of disappointment and suspicion in their eyes. They did not even have enough decency to pretend that they were not talking about me. They let me hear their conversations on purpose.