UEM 02: Mago Showcase

I threw myself into the soft huge bed as soon as I entered my room. I stared at the yellow-green ceiling for a few minutes before getting the flyer from the pocket of my black robe.

I remained lying on the mattress while I read the details of the most anticipated major showcase of the year. It will happen tomorrow, at exactly eight in the evening. It's an annual celebration in the city of Pansy, also called the Capital, the central city of Classica. It serves as one of their thanksgiving ceremonies for having healthy souro – or the energy that classic witches like us possess to use one's attribute and manifest skills.

Mago showcases often happen in other cities as a pastime. However, it's a different deal in the Capital. From the title itself, "mago showcase", only those with mago – those gifted with bountiful souro and can cast attributes are allowed to participate. Numerous skilled classic witches, particularly the Classic Maheias (healers, attackers, sealers, protectors, and cores) join, whether they are still students or already professionals.

The qualifications for contenders are exaggeratedly high. You have to pass some auditions and prepare a performance to showcase your skills. You also have to pass the preliminary eliminations wherein you must have a match with another possible contender. Mostly, students from Pansy Academy and University join. But people from other cities from smaller schools or those who are home-schooled are allowed as well.

Those who will win, the first, second, and third placers will be given an opportunity to work or study at the Capital. They can also ask for money or other luxurious things. Many are willing to join of course, even if it means that they will have to risk and drain the capacity of their souro, or worse their lives. But who cares about these things right if you can have anything you want?

Last year, one of the winners asked for a piece of land. It was not that big. But the price of the land here in Classica is incredibly high. It was worth a fight.

Mago showcases are often held in open spaces such as training centers for classic militaries – those who are non-attribute users. But this year, it will take place near the Capital's newest park where small theater centers and food stalls are built. It is such a good location. I badly want to see the place and watch that showcase! It will only happen once a year. Who knows if I can watch it next year...

For as long as I could remember, I have always been isolated or hidden by my family. They think ridiculously highly of me. They believe that I am such a gifted kid and that I don't deserve to be friends with people who are from low-class families. When I was completing my basic education years, I was home-schooled. When I was in high school days, I was part of the academy's special class and I only have a few classmates. My social life has been so boring – not that I am complaining though.

That's why when I was younger, I was only friends with certain people – the children of the dukes from the cities of North, West, East, and Capital as my father is the South's duke. Also, friends with some other prominent and wealthy families.

But things happened for some reason, and I was only able to keep one friend up to this day, which is more than enough for me. I am best friends with one of the daughters of the duke of Capital. We remain friends for years. Her name is Maori – and the mastermind of the escape we will be executing tomorrow night just to attend that freaking mago showcase.

My family favors Maori so much. I know they don't favor her for being her but because she's the daughter of the Capital's duke. I can't say their attitude towards her is insincere, but I know my family well. They are strongly insecure with the Chironnas. I mean who isn't? They are not just the wealthiest and most powerful family in the Classica after the royal family. They are also loved by so many people and are the only family who is on good terms with the other races of witches. That speaks so much volume. They are loved and hated by everyone. There's nothing in between.