UEM 27: The Most Awaited Match

"I'm Maori Chironna. 19. I'm the daughter of the duke and duchess of the capital, Pansy City. I have a twin sister, and you know her already. We're both sealers. I'm Minah's best friend, just in case you're not aware of it. My sub-mago is healing. I have a lightning attribute, and I can make chains out of it. I can lift objects using my attribute technique itself. I can capture huge objects as well. And I know a bit of sealing rituals..." Maori enthusiastically introduced herself with a wide smile while her right hand was on her chest.

Felix and Lana nodded in unison; both were seriously looking at Maori. Gregory, on the other hand, kept his grin all throughout Maori's short introduction. Hindi ko alam kung ano na naman ang iniisip niyang kalokohan.

"And you've developed a new technique, right?" Lana asked after a brief silence.

Maori's forehead creased, and he took a deep breath. "And where did you get that? Did you tell her, Minah?" she turned to me aggressively.

"What? No. I didn't," pagtanggi ko. Because I never told a single soul about that.

And, to be honest, I almost forgot about that.

Lana heaved out a sigh. "It's not like you're keeping it a secret. Most of the sealers know about it. And I've got connections," she simply explained.

Maori crossed her arms and couldn't help but show her annoyance. She even pouted. It took her a minute to break the awkward atmosphere in the room.

"I won't tell what it is about, but yes, I've developed a new technique. I'm still working on it. I'll just show it to you once we've got the chance."

Tumangong muli ang dalawa habang napailing-iling naman si Gregory.

"Ikaw, may gusto ka bang itanong sa 'min?" si Felix at ipinatong ang kanyang mga braso sa lamesa.

Maori's expression softened, and she nodded.

She sweetly smiled and leaned closer to the table, eyeing each of us subsequently. "So, tell me, what are you guys' plotting? I'm still confused as to why you chose me as your team's sealer. Well, I was pretty convinced by what Lana told me, but I'm not stupid enough to just accept it like that. I know you've got other reasons why you selected me. However, regardless of the reason, I'm still glad to be part of the group. Minah seemed to bond with you well. I hope it's the same case for me."

Halos manlamig ang buong katawan ko sa sinabi ni Maori. It's not like I'm utterly surprised with her questions and everything she has said. But hearing it directly from her kind of scared me.

"You're-"

"I want to ask you why you kept lurking around Minah. I was also confused about why Minah seemed to like you around. The more I think about it, the more I get confused. But demanding an answer from you would be quite impossible at the moment, right? No matter how close I am to Minah, I still want to respect your privacy. I want you to answer me when you're ready. Because being the last recruited member of the team means I must earn your trust first, right?" she cut off Lana and calmly spewed her thoughts.

Napatuwid ako ng likod at tumingin kay Maori. She was having intense eye-to-eye contact with Lana, as if they were having another conversation through their eyes.

Felix remained composed and was just observing the two. When I turned to Gregory, the tension seemed to begin affecting his mood.

Nang sandali akong lingunin ni Maori ay lalong lumakas ang tibok ng puso ko. My hands and feet suddenly turned colder, and my breathing got erratic. "Just like what I told Minah, I've always wanted to work with her. This is a great opportunity for both of us. We've never been on a mission," she told everyone while looking at me.