UEM 31: News and Reports

We flew for almost an hour to reach the South City's residences, where Lana told us to go once our tasks ended. Coey bade farewell to me when we spotted where Lana and Maori were.

Although Lana knew he was already part of the plan, Maori had no idea about his existence at all. It's also the best way to not be seen in public with him. I've got enough stalkers to tell my family about it.

"Minah!" Maori squealed as she saw me approaching.

I smiled, walked to them with quick steps, and tried my best to act like I had the most productive day ever. Except that it was true.

"How was your area? Marami bang nahuli?" she asked me as she pulled me towards her.

Nagkatinginan naman kami ni Lana at halos bantaan niya na ako sa paraan ng pagtingin niya.

"It was... alright, I guess? I managed to capture some. But it's not as many as I expected," sagot ko at umarteng dismayado pa.

Maori nodded, smiled, and nudged me lightly. "That's okay, Minah! Baka natakot sa 'yo kaya mga hindi nagpakita?" biro niya na tinawanan namin pareho.

"And what's in that bag?" she continued asking, peeking at the bag on my shoulder.

Napatingin din ako sa bag ko bago lumingon sa kanya. "Oh... this..." I muttered and took off the bag to show her.

"Since I was near the healing station, I asked one of the personnel to get me some books I could bring to the university. I grabbed the opportunity. Nandoon na lang din naman ako..." sagot ko at hinihiling na makumbinsi siya agad.

"Ohhh... Those are some heavy books..." she pointed out. "How about your aunt? Did you see her?" she inquired once again.

Napatigil ako saglit at binasa ang labi. Now that she kept on asking me, I couldn't help but think about my words thoroughly.

"I wanted to see her, but the personnel there told me that she was having an intense healing operation. Kaya inutusan ko na lang sila kumuha ng libro sa shelf ni Tita," I answered and looked straight into her eyes.

Napansin ko ang pagkawala ng kyuryosidad sa mga mata ni Maori at napalitan iyon ng intensidad. Quickly enough, she averted her gaze to Lana and broke our eye contact.

Napahinga ako nang malalim at napatitig pa sa kanya nang ilang segundo.

"How about you? How was your mission?" I asked them so the silence among us would not last any longer.

"It was amazing! We captured a lot! And Lana almost killed one... She's scary!" Maori's excitement went back.

Natawa ako at napalingon kay Lana. She just shrugged her shoulders off and crossed her arms.

"Let's go grab a meal while waiting for those guys. Pag-usapan na rin natin kung ano-ano ang mga ilalagay natin sa report," she said and began marching toward a simple eatery nearby.

Lumapad naman ang ngisi ni Maori at tuluyan akong hinila para sumunod kay Lana.

It was seven in the evening when we got completed. During the hours of waiting, we tried to capture more rogue witches around as if they were insects whose numbers seemed to never run out.

We then headed near the Southwest Forest, near the Southwest River, which we will cross before dawn tomorrow. We will stay there and spend the night.

"Make the most of our resting hours. Tomorrow will be way harder," Lana said as she entered the cave near the river while holding her things and a lamp in her hand.