chapter 3: I am sorry

"Are you just going to let them get away with this?" Lisa's nose flared, as she spoke to her mother, once they were in a cab.

She watched as her mother flung her face to the other side, her head resting on the taxi's window.

She had not uttered a word since they left the mansion. Her head hung low.

"Seriously, mom!"

Lisa called, stunned at her mom's behaviour.

"Mom!" She called again when she got no reply from her.

Lisa, irritated, charged her mom into facing her.

Then, she noticed it.

streams of tears on her mother's face. One after the other, they dropped onto her lap.

Then, quiet sobs escaped her lips, before they turned wild.

At that moment, Lisa felt bad, and guilt settled in her stomach.

How could she have questioned a woman who had just lost everything in a day?

Her eyes stung, and she could already feel a tear racing down her left cheek.

"I am sorry." She choked as she apologised. Her voice was barely audible due to how hard she was struggling to keep herself from crying out.

She heard the faint sniffling coming from her mom.

" It's okay, honey. It is not your fault I am like this? Please, stop crying, or you are going to make me sad further."

Lisa's body trembled, as she cried harder and harder, unable to stop her tears.

"You are making me awful, Lisa." Mary choked out, her face covered in tears and snot.

"I'm sorry, but I can't stop it." Lisa cried out, hugging her mom as tight as she could.

"It's not your fault, baby. It isn't. There are explanations for my tears, and they were not incited by you. " Her mother cupped her face with her hands, wiping away her (Lisa's ) tears.

"But I made you cry, not even thinking about what you were suffering. I was so mad and selfish that I failed to see how I hurt you. "

Lisa's face was red; her eyes, swollen and puffy.

Mary placed gentle kisses on her daughter's eyelids. She watched her daughter affectionately, her eyes full of love.

"You can never hurt me, Lisa, and you know why?" She asked, lingering briefly.

She never waited to get a reply from Lisa, before she replied.

"That is because you are my world, and I would give my everything to please you." She said, looking at Lisa fondly.

She placed her head gently on Lisa's and connected their foreheads.

She gazed into her daughter's eyes, and Lisa felt all the love her mother had for her.

More sobs escaped from her lips, and for once, she cried out of happiness.

"I love you, mom. I love you so much. "

Lisa cried as she pulled her mom into a bone-crushing hug.

"I love you too, honey, and never forget that. I will always be here for you, no matter what." She promised.