chapter 43

"Father, you can't do this to me, it isn't fair!" Rejoice backed up like a terrified animal being cornered.

"I requested you to do a simple job, but you dared to disobey me and now you are saying it isn't fair?" Marcos' father's voice sounded gruff.

"Alright!" Rejoice screamed, "I apologize! I am sorry! Now leave me alone father!"

"Leave you alone?" Marcos' father scoffed, "You think you can order anyone as you like? Particularly me? Guess again."

"I— I– am sorry, I won't do it again, I made a mistake!" Rejoice cried as she shook, knocking over everything in her way, trying to get away from him.

"You should have just kept shut and did as I inquired of you to!" He yelled, his eyes turning a pale red.

"Your Highness!" Rejoice, mother, Margret called, "Please your Highness, she's still a child!"

"A child?" One of Marcos' older siblings said sarcastically. "At twenty-three?"

"Don't upset His Highness, Rejoice is entitled to what's coming to her!" Frederick interrupted, seeing as Margret was about to interfere.

"She merits this?" Margret asked, "Is this how cruel you are to your sister?"

"Correction concubine Margret, your daughter is not my sister. I refuse to acknowledge a stupid-headed bimbo as a relative." Frederick said.

"Stop your foolish words, both of you!" Richard, the first son, cut in coldly. "If you desire to have your heads severed from your bodies then persist, I dare you."

Richard's chill words ended all rivalries, forcing their priority to shift to the old man and his daughter.

"She looks terrified, aren't you going to help her?" Lisa whispered to Marcos.

Lifting an eyebrow, "And why would I do that?" Marcos asked. "You wanted an apology, so why are you so concerned about this?"

"Not this sort of apology." He watched as Lisa rolled her eyes. "This isn't sincere, it would only make them hate me!"

"Why do you care if they hate you or not? It isn't like they can do you any harm is it?" Marcos casually replied.

Slapping his broad rock-like chest with her palm, "You treat people like air all the time, but I am not you because dealing with people like that has consequences."

Marcos chuckled, "All this only for me to intrude in what's going on?" He squeezed her nose, his eyes softly staying on her.

"Not everyone is a saint like you doll. Don't you think she gets what is about to happen to her? I mean, look around us babe, I am not the only one here but no one stands up for her, except her mother and that tells you something."

"No one stands for her because they do not have the guts to do so!" Lisa angrily faced him, her voice softly carried to his ears nonetheless. "You are different!"

Marcos sighed out loud, "Being different has nothing to do with this matter." He turned speechless. "Fine, on one condition."

"What condition?" Lisa suspiciously stared at him.

Coming close to her, like a huge secret was about to be spilled, he beckoned her, his lips slightly twitching. "Come closer."

When she was close enough, he placed his lips on hers.

When his lips fell on hers, it was so light, it felt like a feather.

Only when she felt the body temperature of his lips did she know he pecked her.