Chapter 35 The gathering

"What's wrong?"

A tall woman asked as she hurried down a hallway, beside her, an equally tall man as herself.

"I don't know, but all I know is that we were all suddenly summoned by the king."

The man's deep baritone-like voice carried an air of command. Even while attempting to talk softly to the person beside him, it could not be ignored.

"He summoned all of us?" She asked in disbelief, not waiting for his reply and muttering to herself. "This has to be serious."

"It is." The man confirmed, "It seems the king, his Highness, is starting to take his work seriously this time."

"I pity those who are going to suffer his fury this time."

"Why pity them?" The man asked, like he was confused, "Didn't they know this was coming yet they still indulge in it? It is His Highness we are talking about, the ruthless WRATH!" He praised.

"Yes, but could anyone imagine what pushed His Highness to act this time? I mean, this wasn't the first time he's caught a mole, unless... Unless he's pissed." She suggested, but he cut her off.

"Or..." he drawled, "or it could be he's trying to protect his mate."

The silence was ensured between the two of them.
No one knew when or how speaking of the king's mate became taboo and was treated as a secret.

A dirty secret that shouldn't be heard from your mouth might be the end of you.

Till they reached their destination, neither of them spoke a word, other than throwing a few side glances at each other and nothing else.

~
Seated on chairs, placed on round tables, different colors of eyes met, clashed, spoke, and glared at each other.

Not a single voice was heard as the person seated two steps higher than they were sent pressure into them, be it witches, wolves, elves, vampires, or whatever you were.

Here was their supreme lawgiver, their leader!

Even if some of them were dissatisfied in their hearts, there was nothing they could do other than watch and obey, but some people still find it difficult to do so.

"What is the meaning of this?" A black-haired vampire stood to his feet, banging his fist subtly on the table.

Even so, with how light he tried to bang his palm on the table, it rang mightily due to the outstanding silence in the room.

"Why did you suddenly summon us here?" He continued, his actions earning a few nods of agreement and others' stares of disgust.

He was determined; he continued his words even if he didn't get a reply in his two attempts.

"Do you think some of us are as jobless and careless as you in your reign? I have duties to fulfill instead of just sitting here! Don't think you can make a difference in a day!"

Marcos finally settled his cold eyes on the man speaking, his pressure suddenly attacking the young vampire immediately.

"Just because I let you speak, Paul doesn't mean I didn't know what I was doing," Marcos spoke, his voice sending chills due to how low it rang. "Have you gotten so stupid that you forgot who you were speaking to?"

Even as Marcos spoke, he increased the pressure around him, making everyone know what he meant, but the one who suffered it most was Paul.
Quickly, he fell to his knees.

"Who let an imbecile like you become a Pylen? Who? That person must be sick in the head."

His annoyance filled the air as he spoke. "Speak when spoken to."