Chapter 51 Looking death in the eyes of a wolf

Hey guys, it's this writer here! Thanking everyone who has commented, voted and going as far as following me!

...

Tears rolled down her face as she ran, this time pushing every zombie-dazed maid or guard.

She decided to put her life first before anything else.
She counted the time mentally in her head, running up a staircase, clinging to the railings like her life depended on it.

Another clock, and this time, it was digital. Lisa saw all she had left were five seconds.

Whoever in their right mind put clocks around their house! Were they for sale?

She swore that after all this shit was over, every damn clock was going down!

Two seconds!

And in those two seconds, she took the last step and got off the staircase.

Ding—dong! Ding—dong!

The pendulum clock in the halls rang, while the digital ones beeped loudly.

It's over!

Time up! She wasn't even close to the room's door.

At that same time, she saw every zombied–like maid and guard hold their heads, screaming in pain and the next thing you knew escaped their lips were blood-chilling howls.

Powerful howls all chorused at the same time, making her eardrums ring.

She crouched, covering her ears and frowning in pain. Her strawberry-blonde hair covered her face like a curtain.

Holding the guard railings, she steadies herself, her ears filled the deafening, continuous ringings. Lisa pushed forward with the support of walls and railings, almost falling when her feet got caught in between a red carpet.

Who still keeps a carpet in the middle of the hallways?

Many things were disappearing when this whole fiasco was over and she was sure of it.

Downstairs, their deadly hunting howls turned into fierce wolf-like crues, occasionally a few grunts could be heard in between roars passing one after the other only to be swallowed by the noise they made.

Only today did Lisa estimate the number of maids in this place. Turns out those maids she usually saw and thought were wandering weren't wandering. They were just too many and putting on the same uniforms. It made it hard to tell.

"One more hall to go." She mumbled, touching her ears, and lifting the hair off her face with blood-stained hands. Then she realized, her ears had started to bleed. She wanted to scold her body.

This was a bad time and place to drop body fluids.
She was a human being, and with how Damien stressed his warnings, she was sure he omitted something. He still thought of her even when he was almost out of his mind. Touching.

But who knows if her blood could stimulate them into madness or a hunting frenzy with her being the prey and they, the hunters?

She didn't want this.

She hid behind a wall. All that kept her from seeking asylum in Marcos' room was the damned hall before her but she had a huge problem.

Help!

The king's chamber was one of the most protected places in the palace. How could she have forgotten about it?!

Normally, twenty guards were stationed just to guard the doors and intercept the maids who tried to get into the king's room.