chapter 31 let me tell you a story

"Your Highness!"

Mrs. B heard the shrill call from one of the maids in the room. She hastened her footsteps, an inkling of panic rising in her chest.

"What's going on here?" Mrs. B. asked as she walked into the room.

Due to the commotion caused earlier, they had taken it upon themselves to move to a different place.

"Is she being difficult?" Mrs. B asked, a frown resting between her brows when the maids responded by nodding.

"Yes," Olive replied, coming forward towards her mom. "I think her highness is still shaken, and she refuses to let anyone touch her."

"Oh, good heavens!" Mrs. B exclaimed faintly, her hand flying to her forehead. "Leave it to me," she breathed. "I know what to do."

She strode towards the bed, on which a curled-up figure covered in heavy, deep sheets lay, shaking occasionally.

"Your Highness." Mrs. B softly called, her hands stretching out to touch the huge ball on the bed.

She stopped at the edge of the bed, calling again. "Your Highness, it isn't healthy for you to do this."

"Bulls*hit!" Lisa's frail whispered voice sounded, and the silence in the room did nothing but amplify the foul word.

"Your Highness, but I am really serious." Mrs. B reasoned, "You have been here for as long as three days, and from what I've heard, you have been living in fear, which is bad for your heart."

"That's not what's bad for my heart, Mrs. B; you all are!" Lisa poked her head out of the blanket and glared.

The room fell into a momentary silence, and Mrs. B stood stunned.

She sighed, sitting on the bed. "Your Highness," she started.

"Don't call me that!" Lisa's voice cut her off. "My name is Lisa. L. I. S. A. Lisa! Stop giving me names."

"But your Highness, I am not allowed to call you by name." Mrs. B replied, cutting off her next refutation. "Or, would you like to see me dead because I am a "monster"?"

This time, it was Lisa's turn to purse her lips.

Mrs. B signaled to the maids, watching as they left one after the other.

She inched her way towards Lisa, tentatively grabbing Lisa's hand into hers.

"Your Highness, I know this is sudden, scary, frustrating, depressing—call it whatever—but it's all right." Mrs. B consoled herself, her eyes softening. "It's expected of you to behave this way. If you weren't, I would have been really worried." She chuckled.

"I mean, who in their right mind would see a full-grown man turn into a walking wolf and still be sane?" She mused with a glint in her eyes.

When Lisa was asked the question, she felt a chuckle almost leave her chest. "I guess so."

"It's not a guess; it's just reality." Mrs. B assured, assured, "Dear, I know right now might be scary, but not every scary thing is deadly. Sometimes, things need to be ugly before they turn beautiful."

"You have a lot of questions going on in her head but not enough answers, am I right?" Mrs. B asked, getting a little nod from Lisa.

"I can help with only a few; some things are better left unsaid for now." She assured. "What do you want to know?"

"Where are we?" Lisa queried.

Mrs. B smiled and said, "Alpha Marcos' pack." She said it simply.

Question marks flew out of Lisa's head as she stared at the woman like she was dumb. "Where is that? Doesn't it have a name?"

"You didn't ask for a name." Mrs. B laughed out, "Silver moon. The name of this pack is Silver Moon."

"So? Why am I here?"

"Won't you ask where exactly we are?"

Lisa looked at the woman and felt the urge to stone her. "Would you tell me even if you were paid?" She glared.

Squinting her eyes, Mrs. B's amused voice rang out. "No" was her reply.

The intensity of Lisa's glare increased manifold!

Mrs. B felt she might have been dead in Lisa's head by now.

"Quit messing with me and answer the damn question!" The fire that had once died in Lisa slowly woke up.

"Okay, I won't mess with you again." The pleasant glint in her eyes died a little. "I believe you heard what he said."

She asked, referring to Marcos and his choice of words.

At the mention of his name, Lisa felt a subtle chill pass through her. "Yeah," she said and nodded, rubbing the goosebumps that had begun to form on her skin.

"In animals, especially wolves, you should know what a mate is, don't you?"

Yes, I do." She whispered, her face going slightly pale.

"Dear, don't think so much." Mrs. B. tightly grasped her hand.

"I don't understand; how is this possible? I am human!" Lisa argued.

"Well, it's not new. We have a few cases where animals were paired with humans. It's no big deal."

"But it is for me!" Lisa spoke, flying to her feet. "I don't want this! I don't want it at all! What good can this bring to me?"

"Your Highness, do you believe there is always a rainbow at the end?"

"F*ck those weird rainbows! I don't want it; I only want my life to be how it was. How do I undo this?"

"Your Highness!" Mrs. B. yelled in shock. "Please, never repeat what you just said! Not to me, not to anyone, especially your mate!"

"Why?" Lisa demanded, going a little scared at Mrs. B's fury.

"It could kill. We werewolves are special creatures. There is a reason that, despite not being at the top of the chain, we are widely respected. To a werewolf, having a mate isn't just finding your spouse; it's finding your other half and being connected not just mentally but spiritually." She said this, coming closer to Lisa.

"Saying such things is similar to a rejection. And rejection is like sending a dagger to your throat."

Lisa cried, "But I don't want this."

"That's because you don't understand. Let me tell you a story." She gestured to the bed, where she was already sitting.

Sitting on the bed, she held Lisa's hand. "It's a story of a young boy who had different dreams like every thirteen-year-old boy would have. He was funny, caring, helpful, and always happy. He was the joy of many, even when he was always hated by his father, but he never let that get to him. He was always positive."

"And when his mother gave birth to his younger brother, you could see that he was the happiest person on earth! But who could have thought that would be the worst day of his life?"

Vote and comment 😁