Chapter 38 New beginning

Double update! 🤧

For the next week, the entire palace already knew of the budding relationship between their king and his mate Lisa.

They met, ate, talked, walked, smiled sometimes, and even laughed.

No one knows how; they only had a rough guess of when they tried to get along.

Their once gloomy king, their alpha with a cold face, now had a faint smile on his lips or in his eyes, making those mateless wolves cry bitterly at the dog food being thrown by his highness.

Currently, his highness, Marcos, sat at a table filled with food; opposite him was Lisa, her face flushed weirdly, either in shame or anger.

"Would you like more?"

His highness's voice drifted to her, making her face flush even more.

"Have you no shame?" Lisa asked, glaring. "You are outside, in front of your subjects, for goodness sake! What do you think they would think of you now?"

He chuckled. "You think they dare? Ask them if they saw anything or heard anything."

His words were like mockery to her.

"You..." Lisa felt lost for words. "You are hopeless."

"Thanks so much, babe, but it's nice to see you really care for me." He teased.

"Who ever said I cared for a brute like you?" She huffed, "In your dreams!"

Her words made him burst into laughter, and hearing his laugh made Lisa tremble.

She had no idea when it started or how, but the more she got closer to the man in front of her, the more she felt herself falling—faster than any human could have ever fallen in love.

Lisa remembered that when she discovered this, she was so scared that she ran to Mrs. B for help, thinking she was crazy or that a voodoo had been cast on her by Marcos.

But Mrs. B reassured her that it was how they worked.

It stands to reason that humans and supernaturals have different understandings of love and being together.

Humans come together through marriage, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

Some humans generalize love based on monetary values, beauty, fame, and sex.

Only a few escape and are able to find love that comes from the heart.

If she were supernatural, she would have given birth to at least two kids already, but she wasn't.

Mrs. B's in-depth analysis made her understand what she needed to know.

The more she tried to get away from Marcos, the more she yearned for him, and the more she felt pain.

Still, some things were hard to erase.

She still had nightmares about the night they both met.

The screams of those men, the begging, and the blood

If only she had known, she wouldn't have gone to them for help. Instead, just resign to fate and have him kidnap her or do whatever it is he wants to do with her.

"Did you hear what I just said to you?" Marcos' baritone-like voice cut through, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"Eh, what?" She stuttered, "Could you reprise that?"

"You weren't listening, were you?" Marcos said, sounding suspicious. "What have you been thinking of lately? I noticed you often looking out in a daze."

"Oh, nothing." Lisa denied, "I am just thinking about things."

"Things like what?"

"Nothing important." She replied, changing the topic. "What were you saying?"

"I was saying I would be leaving for my father's palace, and I would be going tomorrow. I have some things to do, so I won't be coming any time soon. Would you like to go with me or stay?"

"You want me to go with you to meet your father?" Lisa asked.

Somehow, hearing him talk about his father after what Mrs. B told her made her curious and mad.

She wanted to know about this awful, cruel father who could treat his own son and mate like that.

According to Mrs. B, a person's mate was your second half. Not just any mate, but your true mate.

How this person, Marcos' father, could treat his mate that way, even after she had died and he was not feeling anything or receiving any punishment, was what he questioned.

How and why?

Was the moon goddess now partial? But she wasn't supposed to be!

And what happened to Marcos' mother's family?

Where the f*ck were they when all this happened?

Their daughter was maltreated till she died, her kids suffered in the hands of her killer, her own mate, and they were nowhere to be found.

This doesn't make sense!

She doesn't even know if Marcos has ever thought of it this way or if he was trying to avoid it.

All these happened, and after Marcos' mother died, he was made king when he had other children with mates or concubines he loved. What was this man thinking? What the heck goes up in his head?

"You can go if you want to; I don't mind. I respect your decisions." Marcos said, responding to her question earlier.

"Huh? Go where?" Lisa was puzzled, meeting his gaze.

Her reply, making Marcos squeeze his face, left a faint trace of annoyance on his face.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Huh? Sorry." She laughed nervously. "I mean, I would love to go with you."

It was on impulse; she wanted to see this butt-faced father.

"That's great." Marcos beamed, "Then you can meet my younger brother, Damien; I am sure he would love to meet you."

Lisa smiled and said, "And so would I."

She had heard all about Damien during the time she had been with him.

From Mrs. B, the maids, and even Marcos himself.

It's shocking how famous this young brother of Marcos is, but you could tell how much he loved his younger brother by how much he talks about the boy.

"How old is he again?" Lisa asked. "I need to know in case I need to bring gifts."

"He's thirteen, but there is no need for gifts; he only likes to be praised for how handsome he is. Just some sweet words that touch his head or make him blush, and that's all."

Lisa was slightly surprised, then she chuckled. "That's all?"

"Yeah, that's all," Marcos laughed. "It's funny how small he thinks."

"Well, I think you are both the same." Lisa said softly, "We only need each other."

"Yeah, you can't blame him for that." Marcos, gaze turned soft. "I raised him like he was my son."

"With how you talk, it sounds like it's been a long time since you've both met. Don't worry, you will meet him soon." Lisa reassured.

"I know, and this time, he's staying with me."

Vote and comment 🥰