mr. moony

A Boggart is an immortal shape-shifting non-being that took on the form of its observer's worst fear. Because of their shape-shifting ability, no one knew what a Boggart looked like when it was alone, as it changed shape instantly upon encountering someone.

"Does anyone know what a Boggart looks like?" Professor Lupin asked, he looked out at the class, a few hands up. "Ah, yes Miss Johnson?"

"No one knows." Angelina answered, "They take the form of its observer's worst fear." she added.

"Good." He smiled "So the boggart sitting in the darkness within has not yet assumed a form. He does not yet know what will frighten the person on the other side of the door. Nobody knows what a boggart looks like when he is alone, but when I let him out, he will immediately become whatever each of us fear the most. Let's line up!"

August stood next to Angelina as the class lined up in front of an old wardrobe that shook ever so often, like the thing inside of it was trying to get out. Professor Lupin warned August the night before about their last lesson of the term, letting her know they finally made it to the boggart lesson. She knew this day was coming, she knew they would have to revise this lesson at one point before the exams, but she didn't know it would be this hard to go up. The last time they did this lesson, only George saw her boggart, now she has to face it in front of the whole class. She had been dreading going to class all morning, she barely even got out of bed on time. Her tie wasn't even tied when she arrived at class, it was just tied in a loose knot around her neck.

August took a step forward once Angelina's boggart transformation made the class laugh. She wasn't surprised when the moon appeared in front of her and she ignored the whispers behind her. When she lifted her wand though, ready to cast the spell at the moon the door to the wardrobe opened and she watched herself step out. She watched as boggart-self walked towards the moon, looking at her and then the moon. She realized she never actually got to see her whole boggart before, because George had stepped in front of her the first time. She had always wondered why the boggart was just the moon, because she never actually felt scared of it. Now she knows. She wasn't afraid of the moon itself, she was afraid of what the moon did to her, what it turned her into. She was afraid of herself.

"Riddikulus!"

The moon popped like a balloon, splashing water over her boggart-self. She knew that laughter made it go away, so she left out a painful chuckle and walked to the back of the class without looking at anyone.

"I didn't know there was more to your boggart.." George said standing next to her as the class continued the lesson.

"Yeah, neither did I." She chuckled nervously

"Can I?" He motioned toward her poorly tied tie. She looked down at it, and laughed

"Yeah. Thank you." She watched him tie it. Since he was looking at her tie, she was able to observe his face. He had a scar on his eyebrow and so many freckles and he bites his lip when he concentrated.

"Alright!" Remus clapped which broke her thoughts, "that was a really good lesson! I hope you all have a restful break! We will continue next term with curses." He smiled at the class, and the students began to depart. He went up to August and George, "August, stay after?"

"Yeah sure." She looked at George, "I'll see you later."

"Yeah, I'll save you a spot at lunch." He smiled, walking out.

"You seem surprised." Lupin points out, "Did your boggart change?"

"No. I mean I'm not entirely sure.. I just think that I never saw the whole thing before."

"Do you understand what you saw?" He asked, sitting in a chair in front of her

"It's myself. It's my transformation that scares me." She sighs, "I fear that I will only ever be seen as a monster."