you're my best friend

August was in the front seat of the yellow bug, driving maybe a mile over the speed limit freaking out every time a car passed her. Jade was sitting in the passenger seat laughing.

"OH, MY GOD. OH MY GOD!" August was holding the steering wheel with locked elbows, and straight back, scared to even blink.

"You're doing great sweetheart!" Jade laughed. "You drive well in the city and on the back roads! Just think of it as that!"

"This is the motorway!" August yelled, "They're all speeding! That man is surely going too fast!" Without taking her hand off the steering wheel she pointed at a sportscar zooming past them.

"You have to know how to drive on the busy roads!" Jade was roaring with laughter, "You wanted the car, so you have to get over this fear."

"Why can't I just take the back roads all the time?" August was almost in tears as a lorry zoomed past her.

"Because this is a faster way. We're almost at the exit, and then it's back roads I promise."

Jade watched her daughter in admiration, as she drove them back to their home. The men thought it would be nice to get August out of Grimmauld Place for a bit and let them have a mother-daughter night before all the kids come home from school in a week. They pulled up to an old run-down grocery shop.

August followed close behind her mother pushing the trolly, sneaking snacks in every time Jade went to read the ingredients of the packaging of something on the shelf.

"I want to marry George." She told her.

"Do you?" Jade pulled down her reading glasses to look at August, "Have you thought about it? Really?"

"I- um... Well, you see... I bought a ring." August gulped.

"Did you?" Jade nodded, smiling. "Girl power." Jade nodded, turning back to pushing the trolly, August skipped after her.

"I know it won't be legal..." August said, "But-"

"You don't need to explain yourself, August." Jade smiled, "You love him. I know. But maybe talk to him before popping the question?"

"What do you mean?" August questioned as they made it down the canned vegetable aisle, "Do you think he'll say no?"

"Of course, he won't say no." Jade said, "But, have you two talked about your future? Children?"

"I don't want children." August said, "I don't even think I can have one. I don't think it's safe for me to be pregnant..."

"But does he want children?"

"I-i don't know..." August said, "We've never really talked about it. We talked about marriage, but that was only in passing before the trial."

"He will understand," Jade told her, "He'll still marry you, love you. But you need to have the conversation before you two make this decision."

"Right..." August said, "Will you be my maid of honor?"

"You want your mother as your maid of honor?" Jade laughed. An old woman passed by smiling at the duo, nodding at Jade as if she was approving of this relationship.

"You're my best friend." August admitted, "Ang would understand."

"Don't expect me to throw you a bachelorette party with strippers." Jade teased.

"I would respect that." August laughed.

They were sitting on the couch, after a quick murdering spree of spiders around the house. They were both in their pajamas, with a bowl of popcorn between them. They weren't even paying attention to the movie playing on the tv.