i don't want the world

George was laying on his bed, flipping through a few channels on the television that August talked him into buying while she stood in his bathroom. She had just gotten out of the shower, staring at the steamy mirror that her hands had just wiped off. She held the towel tight against her chest, her hair pulled up in a wet mass on top of her head, and she stared at herself. George must have grown impatient with her, she thought, but he just wanted to check on her. Whenever she took too long in the bathroom, he always grew nervous that she was back to her old ways, laying in the shower, the water running too cold or hot.

"You okay?" He asked, "Was the mission bad or something?"

"No." She said simply, still staring at the mirror. George followed her gaze to her reflection. As hard as it was to see her in the state she was in when she got back, he wondered what it was like for her. Clearly, there were no mirrors out there, maybe a rippled reflection in a lake or pond. Like everyone else, August hadn't seen herself in those long months she was gone too. He stepped in between her and sink, to block her view.

"Is your door open?" She asked.

"No?" He said questionably, "Why?" He smirked, thinking she was being cheeky with him.

"Could we keep it open?" She looked up from his chest at his face, tightening her towel.

"Oh..." His face softened, "Of course, we can." His wand was being pulled out of his back pocket, pointing at his room. She heard the latch unhitch and the door creek open.

"And keep the big light on? Or maybe just the lamp on your side table? Or maybe just the bathroom-"

"We can keep them all on." He interrupted her. "And the telly."

"It wasn't easy for me, you know?" She looked away from him, sitting on the edge of the bathtub, "Leaving."

"I know that." He crouched in front of her, "Where is this coming from?"

"I thought I wanted everyone mad at me for leaving," She looked up at him with glossy eyes, "But, it's really hard seeing it in person. Thinking about it is not the same... Everyone is just so crossed with me. They promised me if I came back, no one would be mad at me..."

"August..."

"Harry thinks I'm going to leave again... Everyone does," She stated, "Every conversation goes the same way, it starts with a surprised you're back and then ends with an are you leaving again... It's like everyone is waiting for me to disappear again, and honestly, it's getting to the point that it feels like when they ask me if I'm leaving again, they're expecting me... wanting me to say yes."

"No one wants you to go again." He reassured her, "Trust me."

"What happened with you and dad?" August asked. "I know you're talking now, but it's barely a greeting in passing..."

"I said something to him..." George looked ashamed, "Asked him to do something to me."

August shook her head at him, knowing exactly what he did.

"You wouldn't want that life, George. Trust me."

"I know." He said, "And I am so sorry I even asked. But, I needed to be with you. I overstepped, I was in shock...But I won't lie, I don't regret reacting the way I did, because it was all in love."

"I'm not going to leave again," She promised, "I can't... I can't live without you George."

"If you did," He smiled, tilting her head toward him with his hand, "I would follow you anywhere. Cause I've loved you from the start and since then I knew I had to be with you forever. I would follow you."