professor, can I ask a question?

August walked all her friends to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom and found herself almost walking in, but stopped herself. She was not allowed in that room. The twins flashed a guilty smile at her, both thin. She tells them it's okay and smiles at them brightly. This is a good thing she reminds herself, she shouldn't have to be in that room with her. George kisses her cheek, and Fred squeezes her shoulder. She can tell they are mad, even though they think they're hiding it. Angelina still holds her hand, begging her to take her to Snape's classroom. This tells August enough because Angelina would never beg to be taught by Snape in a million years. Lee whispers a crude joke in August's ear about Umbridge when he walks into the classroom and winks at her when he passes the threshold. Angelina is the last one in the hall with her.

"I'll be fine." August reassures her, "Snape finally gets to teach the dark arts."

Angelina laughs, but August can tell it's forced. The only reason the two girls separate is because they heard that god-awful throat clearing behind them.

"Miss. O'Keefe, you don't belong here," Umbridge says. August tells herself that she only means near this classroom, even though deep down she knows that it's much more than that.

"Right." August flashed her best smile at the professor, "I'll see you at lunch." She tells Angelina.

August made her way down the dungeons where Snape's classroom was. She awkwardly stood at the threshold of his empty classroom, looking in at him. He didn't look up from his desk, but he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Are you going to stand out there all lesson?" Snape raised an eyebrow.

"Right," August hurried to the seat she usually sat in during his potions class, far in the back. "Sorry."

"You do realize it is just us?" Snape groaned, "Do you expect me to teach you all the way over there."

"Oh," August looked at her table and then at Snape, "creature of habit..."

August sat down in front of Snape, his cold black eyes fixed unblinkingly upon her, dislike etched in every

line of his face. "Well, O'Keefe, you know why you are here," he said. "The headmaster has asked me to teach you Defence Against the Dark Arts."

"Right..."

"This may not be an ordinary class, O'Keefe..." Snape pulled out a textbook that she did not own, nor was told she needed, "But you are still expected to perform as it is. So turn to page-"

He saw the two textbooks she had in front of her and narrowed his eyes.

"What are those?"

"The textbooks..." August pushed the book towards him, "These were on the list that was sent out this summer."

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 7, and Defensive Magical Theory.

"No," Snape said simply, simply vanishing them from the desk, making them fly across the room. "Those are useless." He sighed, pushing his textbook towards August. "Open to page 43."

August did such and waited, but when she saw the look on his face she just read it.

"Outloud, O'Keefe..." Snape sighed, walking towards his chalkboard.

"Protego Horribilis is a more powerful shield spell that protects against dark magic. Unlike its weaker version, this spell creates a small dome covering all sides of the wizard for up to five minutes..." August paused, "I did this one last year... During my first task."

"I am aware." Snape groaned, "Did I say stop reading?"

"Protego Horribilis is the incantation of a powerful protective charm. It is probably the most powerful version of the Shield Charm. It is used as a protective enchantment against anything approaching the protected area, and against any Dark magic, except the Killing Curse. Any shield charm can never block the killing curse, there is nothing you can do..." August looked up from the page. "Professor, can I ask a question?"