Chapter 58

chapter's song; lay me down

After the funeral, I'm standing at the front of the funeral home with Ares, Delilah, Nick, and Caleb

Ares never strays away from me, always touching me in some way and making sure I don't drift away too far into my head.

"Elena."

A chill runs up my spine when I hear a vaguely familiar voice address me. I didn't notice her approaching me, so when I lay eyes on Violet's mother, I recoil and take a step back.

Her eyes are red-rimmed and she's holding on tightly to her husband's arm, Vi's father.

It's obvious that Violet's death did something to them, but they still look as sophisticated as ever. Aside from the little redness in her eyes, Vi's mother looks perfect, not a single hair astray and everything is in place.

Even though they just lost their daughter – their only daughter – I can't feel sympathy for them.

Because all I can see are Violet's teary eyes when she came to my house night and night again because that was where she felt safe.

I've cried so many times with Violet when she shared her pain. Pain her parents caused and rooted deep within Vi, causing her to seek comfort in drugs to make her forget.

"I'm sorry for what you're going through," Vi's mom, Loraine, begins.

I narrow my eyes at her. My blood is boiling and it's hard to keep the rage out of my voice.

"Are you?"

Loraine frowns when she hears my tone. Michael, Violet's father, peers down his nose at me.

"Are you sorry? Even when you abandoned your only daughter and pretended she didn't exist?" I ask and tilt my head to the side.

"I'm sorry, Elena, but quite frankly, that's none of your business..."

"It is my fucking business when it affected Violet," I snap at her, "we were her real family. I don't know what the fuck you're doing here, anyway. Keeping up appearances for your elite group of friends–"

"I'd watch what you're saying, young lady," Michael says and I direct my glare at him.

"Don't belittle me, you disgusting piece of shit. Violet suffered because you two couldn't be supportive, good parents. You have no right to be here if you never loved her."

"Elena, honey," mom's calming voice comes from my left and she steps up to me. "It's been a rough day for you, your emotions are still fresh and you're hurting. Maybe..."

"Put your daughter in place," Michael suddenly interrupts my mother. "You obviously didn't raise her well enough for her to burst out like this."

"Watch your tone when talking to my wife."