Calvin

After Tam and I finish we cuddle and I call my parents and set up a time for dinner. As the time nears, me and Tam get dressed and head out. The car ride is quiet but loud with intense feelings of passion. We hold hands for most of the time, briefly releasing when our palms got sweaty. I finally get to the gate that leads to my parent's 6 acre mansion. I park my car in the exquisite parking lot. I open Tam's door for her and offer my hand. She looks amazing tonight,wearing a dress complimentary to my turquoise tye. We walk to the door where the butler greets us. I walk in and notice a new chandelier, one that turns light into rainbows. I turn to Tam and she looks bewildered. I squeeze her hand to bring her back to reality. My parents come to greet us giving us both a hug and kiss.
"Hello son and Tam. Are y'all thirsty? We have a lovely new strawberry champagne I would love for you guys to try," my mother says as we finish our greetings with her distant yet familiar southern charm.
"I can see a lot of things are new," I say while looking at the chandelier.
"Oh that thing? Your father and I won it at an auction dear. We went on our anniversary, what a lovely evening it was. You know, you could've had a baby brother that night."
"Mom, gross!" I exclaim I turn to Tam to see her laughing.
"Oh shhh, you got made somehow! But please sit. What brings you to visit?" As we sit the butler brings flutes of a soft pink bubbling liquid. I take a sip. Mmm, so crisp.
"Well mom, the card you gave me, my lawyer gave me the same card and said I should talk to you. I'm having extreme trouble with Jaimie. He told me not to have her sign divorce papers because us being legally married is what's stopping her from pressing charges. I'm so confused." I look up to my mother and she has a grim expression on her face.
"Son, I always knew this day would come but I always hope it would never come to this. Me and your father worked very hard to shield you from this." She looks as though she's full of regret. My heart starts to pound and the worst things are going through my mind. Am I adopted? Is my father not my father? The anticipation is killing me.
"Well what is it? I promise you guys whatever it is, I can handle it." I grab Tam's hand in anticipation.
"Son," my father says. "You are an heir to very wealthy men."
"Yes dad I know? What's going on?"
"Our family wealth has some not so clean ties you see. We worked very hard to go straight and create a business of our own. Without murder-"
"Murder?!" I blurt out. Who are these people?
"Yes son, a long time ago our family made money by organizing deals during the gold rush. You see, people would claim territory and our family would be paid to enforce those territories and exterminate anyone. It started as a piece of gold for every person and as more of the family started generating this wealth we became a very known name as the Billers. As time went on things became deadlier as more generations were being born. It turned from protecting property to harvesting drugs and me and your mother wanted a better life for you son. We tried our best to shield you from it but it's the family business."
Flabbergasted I can barely get this question our. "So what does all that have to do with Jaimie and why are you telling me this now?"
My mother begins to chime in "because son they are who is going to help you exterminate your problem. But son, there's something we have to tell you... Jaimie is involved with them too, the night you guys met wasn't by chance. You couldn't marry Tam because they would've cut us off completely-"
"Really? I can't believe you two! You guys literally set me up to marry a demon and kept me from the love of my life because of you're own selfish needs? You guys are rolling in cash with shit that you don't even need and you guys chose to control my life?" I'm livid and yelling.
"Cal baby calm down," Tam says trying to calm me down.
"No, look at their vintage chandelier at the expense of my life!"
"Son, calm down!" My father yells. "This is what we were born into and the choice that was presented to us! We were thinking of the well being of you!"
"Really dad. So all those business that's been helping keeping my business afloat from them?"
The room become deafening in silence. "You guys have been laundering money through my business?!"
Nobody says a thing and that gives me the answer. I sit in defeat.
"Son I'm sorry. But the family is your only way out of this mess. Call the number on the card and set up an appointment and hope to God that, that bitch Jaimie hasn't tried to sway them. Blood is thicker than water but we are in violation of every condition they gave to me and your mother. We are all in danger if an agreement isn't made soon."
I'm ultimately bewildered. My whole life has been a lie. My family is some weird ass mafia shit.
"Excuse me madame, dinner is ready," the butler says.
"Excuse me but I've lost my appetite, I need some air," I say as I storm out.