Tam

after we got done eating a stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut we all gathered in the up stairs theatre room. We were watching the news while we were waiting for our movie to load. I look over to Calvin.
"I really love you."
"I love you to tam!"
"No you don't understand I really really love you! This is all I ever wanted! Thank you so much!"
He turned and looked at me and kissed me. Then he did the thing where he bit my lower lip and it drove me crazy! While we were in our romantic moment the tv practically yells 'Breaking News'. It catches our attention and we face the tv.
"Hi, there has been a shooting and it was between a cop and an unarmed man. This has been the third shooting in the past two months and it's sparking a riot. We are asking all individuals to stay inside and please DO NOT PROTEST! The police department is trying to fix the problem. To you Holly..."
".... Hi holly here on the scene of the incident. As you can see behind me it's nothing but a hectic disaster! People are rioting catching things on fire. and here's a witness Jamie Biller."
Me and Calvin look to each other with widened eyes as we ache to hear and see what's about to happen.
"Hi Jamie here and I saw everything! Well it all started out with this monkey running from a screaming white lady so of course he probably raped her or something because you know those black people are obsessed with us white people. And so the police came and they were all like get on your knees and he said but I didn't do anything and he was fallin and they shot him. And I was like good because that poor woman was just victim to what those apes do! We need to make this town safe again and get rid of all the niggers and wetbacks and mullato children!"
"As you can see this is becoming a war almost like a race war so if u want safety please stay in your house."
"Holy shit Calvin!"
"Honey we are fine!"
"No, no we aren't your ex wife is probably about to start a race war in our own county!"
"Well as long as we aren't apart of it-"
"Shut the fuck up Calvin of course we are apart of it!!! We are probably the reason she's starting it and we are probably first on her hit list!"
"Ughhhh I know tam I just don't wanna leave and give her power!"
"Well I guess you're right but if it gets anymore unsafe then I'm leaving for the sake of Ari with or without you!"
I get up and walk away and think about what to do and where I'd go and how I'd do it! I decided that in the morning I'd go see my mom so I go to bed forgetting all about our family movie night.
**********
I wake up the next morning and get cleaned up and go to My mom's house. I look around the city to see the destruction that's already started. As I turn into a neighborhood I see 'we aren't going no where' spray painted on a building. Wow this is insane! I turn to my mom's street and see half the houses burned down with damage I get to my mom's house and run inside. I see my mom laying on the floor and surrounded by ash.
"Mom what happened?!"
"Baby haven't you been watching the news?"
"I watched some and saw Jamie on there," I say while rolling my eyes
"Well that comment was either offensive or well accepted if you know what I mean!"
"Mom are you okay?"
"I'm fine and I'm not going anywhere! It's just like the 60's all over again except now people are fighting back."
"Mom we have to leave!"
"I'm not going anywhere baby."
"At least come stay with me!"
"I have lived through this before I'll be fine! Just always call me okay. Now go I'm fine baby."
After me and my mom are done talking I call my best friend and she tells me that she's okay and we talk about how crazy things are getting. She said if one of us leaves we have to go to the same place. I get home and see Calvin painting a fence.
"Well don't you look like Mark Twain!"
Calvin turns around and looks at me he looks like he has been crying but then starts to laugh.
"What's wrong baby?"
"I thought you left me again..."
"No baby never again."
He gets up and hugs me and laughs again.
"Why are you laughing?"
"I don't know. I guess the Mark Twain thing was funny!"
I never want to leave his arms even though I may have to.