grounded

By the time I got home, it was way past 1am. I sighed as I turned off my car before heading inside, I unlocked the door and opened it. I quietly shut it as I relocked it, only to turn around and see my mom on the couch with Miguel, she was holding an icepack to his ribs and one of the sides of his face. I was about to say something, but she looked at me before I could.

Carmen- where were you?! it's way past curfew, Mija! 

Julia- driving around. don't yell so much, Mami. you're going to wake up half the complex. 

I sighed as I put my keys on the table and removed my shoes, I was about to head to my room when she spoke up again.

Carmen- what on earth are you wearing?! what happened to wearing a regular outfit!

Julia- Moon and Sam wanted me to do a group costume so Moon led me her's to do so. it's no big deal.

Carmen- no big deal?! I can see half your bum in that skirt! not to mention you coming home this late, the dance ended at 11. it's 1:45, Julia. you weren't even with Miguel like I asked you to!

Julia- it's just a costume, Mami! Miguel is 16, he can watch himself! he doesn't need me following him around like a lost puppy all day long! we are in a new town, I'm making friends like I'm supposed to!

Carmen- friends don't keep you out all night long. you know you aren't supposed to be out past 12. you disobeyed my one rule.

Julia- I'm sorry, okay? look, one of my friends needed a ride home so I took him home that's all

Carmen- him? so you took a boy home? alone?

Julia- it's not like that. I met him when I first got here, and he showed me around. that's all there is. just don't overreact, please.

she looked at me in slight annoyance as I walked out of the living room and headed to my room. I shut the door and threw my phone on my bed before grabbing some comfy clothes an changing out of the costume. I just went straight to bed since I knew if I stayed up any longer, I would just end up arguing with Mami again. I got up the next morning to a text from Moon asking me to meet up with them at mall, I yawned and got myself dressed before heading to the kitchen/living room. I walked over to the little table where I had placed my keys, but they were gone. I looked at Yaya who was helping Mami in the kitchen before looking at her.

Julia- where are my keys? moon wants to go hang out with her and her friends for a few hours

Carmen- I took them, your grounded.

Julia- uh for what? I didn't do anything wrong

Carmen- you came home way past curfew, Julia. that's why you are grounded

Julia- but that was my first time doing that, mami. I haven't been late before I thought the whole point of starting fresh was making friends, that was a onetime thing.

she looked at me before giving the spoon to yaya and crossing her arms, I looked at her as I knew she wasn't going to change her mind.

Carmen- yes, that was the whole point of us coming here. but you were late, out with a boy without asking first and left your brother alone. you are still grounded.

Julia- but Mami *cuts off*

Yaya- no discutas. escucha a tu mamá, Julia. ve a agarrar a Miggy una bolsa de hielo (don't argue. listen to your mom, Julia. go grab Miggy an ice pack)

I looked at her in disbelief but didn't argue and I walked to the freezer and grabbed the ice pack before walking to Miguel who took it, thanking me as I did so in which I only nodded and pulled out my phone to let Moon know I couldn't make it. As I had just sent the message, Mami walked over to me and grabbed my phone making me look at her but let it go.