back to the letters

I woke up from banging on the door, I hadn't realized I had fallen asleep. I looked over at Robby who was sitting up, he rubbed his eyes as I stood up. I walked over to the door and opened it; it was Johnson and she had two police officers behind her. I felt my heart racing at just the sight of her.

Julia- oh hello Johnson, it's uh nice to see you. what are you doing here?

Johnson- cut the shit. where's Robby?

Julia- uh he's well uh-

I looked over at Robby who was already standing up, Johnson looked at the two officers who nodded at her before just barging in. Robby looked at them and the look on his face broke my heart.

Officer- Robert Keene, you are under arrest for violating your parole. you have the right to remain silence, whatever you do or say will be used against you in the court of law. you have the right to an authority, if you can't afford one than one will be appointed to you. Do you understand your rights as I present them to you?

Robby- w-wait what's going on?

Johnson- cut the act. First you break parole, then I find out you lied to me about where you lived.

Robby- what? I didn't lie *cuts off*

Johnson- 1023 Croley Lane Encino, California. that's the name you have written as your address but when we showed up there, the girl said you didn't live there.

Julia- wait that's not fair, he did live there. we both did, but I moved back home, and he just moved in with his dad, you can't arrest him for that.

Johnson looked at me and if looks could kill, I'm sure I would be dead.

Johnson- he's not being arrested for that, that has nothing to do with this besides the fact you and him broke my trust.

Robby- listen, I c-can explain! just let me explain

Johnson- I'm done with the games, Robby. I put my trust in you and you broke that, you left the country knowing you were on parole. you violated your probation. 

I looked over at Robby and the look of fear was written all over his face. The two officers went to walk to him, but he took a step back looking around, please don't be stupid Robby. I watched as he took another step back before bolting down the hall, I sighed and followed after him. Johnson and the two officers were right behind me, he looked at me and I could read the panic all over his face. He was trying to find a way out.

Julia- Robby please, just go with them. You're going to make this harder on yourself, we will get through this. We have before, alright? she's already so mad at us, just make this easier on you

Robby- I d-don't wanna go to jail again, J-jules

Julia- I know, I don't want you to go either but you need to cooperate with them and go, please give up and go with them.

He looked at me than at the 3 people behind me, saying I was stressed would be a whole new statement. He looked back at me before running into his room, I watched as he ran to the window and the cop that was behind me ran in after him. He grabbed Robby by the back of the shirt and yanked him away from the window as the other officer ran in. They had him pinned against the bed with his face in the mattress as they were trying to handcuff him, but he kept moving. I could feel the angry burning in me, he was just a kid. I went to step forward, but Johnson put her arm out in front of me stopping me.

Johnson- don't. if you intervene you will only end up in the same boat as him. let them do their job and what has to be done.

I watched him continued to struggle. His arm had become lose in the cop's grip and his arm went back, as his elbow connected with the cop's nose. My eyes widen at the sight of the cop's bloody nose, Robby's face was just as shocked mine maybe even more. The officers got more aggressive and pretty much forcefully pinned him down and got the handcuffs on him. They picked him up by his arms as Johnson moved me out of the way. They were holding Robby by his arms and walked him out the door, I walked down the hall with Johnson and out the front door as they put him in the back of the cop car despite him resisting. The cop car drove off and i could feel the pending angry, I moved away from the door and looked at Johnson. She had a 'calm' expression which only flumed my anger.

Julia- what the actual hell! I thought you were on his side! you just got him freaking arrested! 

Johnson- I tried to help him, Julia. I thought we had a breakthrough when he opened up to me. I was wrong. 

Julia- he trusted you! he confined in you! he was trying to stay out a jail, was it in the smartest ways? no! but he still was trying, and you just broke all of that built trust by having him arresting!

My voice cracked at the end of that sentence; I could feel the tears start to stream down my face. She shut the door and walked over to me; I shook my head at her, but she didn't say anything. She walked closer to me and opened her arms; she wrapped them around me and pulled me in for a hug. I break down in her arms as she hugged me. She pulled away after a while and wiped my tears off my face.

Johnson- come with me, I want to take you somewhere. I think it might help

I didn't argue and followed her to her car, we got in and she started to drive. She drove to the strip mall, and we went into the convenient store, she had us grab ice cream for each of us before we sat in her car again. She drove all the way down to this lake area that i didn't even know was a thing. She had me follow her down to a bench before we sat down and began to eat our ice cream.

Johnson- I have been doing this job for 10 years and I still feel guilty every time I have to lock them up. I get the feeling of failure every time it happens, which I know is probably a shock to you. Most families or friends see me as a heartless bitch who does this for the sear fun of it which is not correct. I don't find joy in sending these people back to jail, my job is to keep them out. I really tried hard to keep Robby out, I even took it upon myself to text him every day to make sure he wasn't up to anything. But of course, the one day I forgot to, he left the country which is the dumbest way to get arrested but that's just how the law works.

Julia- thank you.

We went silent again. The only sound that was heard was the birds on the trees and the water hitting the rocks. It was almost peaceful, but not quite. After a while, we walked back to her car. I got in first since she was throwing away our empty tubs of ice cream. She walked back to the car and got in, she started to drive as I looked out the window.

Julia- Robby broke up with me.

Johnson- I'm sorry, what?

Julia- he broke up with me a little while ago, way before the touranment.

Johnson- why? I'm confused

Julia- he didn't want me to break up with him so he dumped me first

I looked at her and I could see the shock her face, I could tell she was holding back a chuckle which only made me start to laugh. We both were slightly laughing, and I looked at my hands as we did.

Johnson- I'm sorry, i don't mean to laugh but seriously? I would have never guessed it by the way you two act

Julia- it's complicated with us but nope we have been over for a while

Johnson- well I'm glad you stayed in his life; he clearly still trusts you and still holds those feelings for you. I applaud you for staying in his life, he clearly needed it.

I nodded before looking out the window. She drove me home and I said my goodbyes to her before walking inside my apartment. It was quiet, Yaya was asleep on the couch with her true crime cases playing. I quietly took off my shoes and walked down the hall, I cracked open Miguel's door, and he was passed out in his bed. I closed the door before walking to my mom's room. Again, just like everyone else she was asleep. I sighed to myself and walked to my room quietly shutting my door. My eyes fell on the letters that were placed neatly on my desk, I walked over to them and sat down. I started reading each one over again over again. It seems that we are back to the letters just like we were before.